Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > used to    

used to

mish.cz
Czech Republic

used to

Hello to all my friends at ESLP, 

today I was asked whether the following sentence is correct.

" We did not use to be so close when we were kids."

Could you, please, tell me, if you can see any mistake in it? 

Thank you very much in advance, 

hugs, Mish.cz

15 Nov 2011      

Mariethe House
France

Puuurfectly correctSmile although many natives will write : we didn �t used to be...Wink

EDIT This is what I found on Wordreference:

usage: Confusion can arise over whether to write used to or use to, largely because the pronunciation is the same in both cases. Except in negatives and questions, the correct form is used to: we used to go to the cinema all the time. However, in negatives and questions using the auxiliary verb do, the correct form is use to, because the form of the verb required is the infinitive: I didn�t use to like mushrooms.

Quite logical : Use to= Have the habit of (doing something ) so you wouldn�t say: I did not had but I didn�t have the habit of questioning a venerable (therefore oldUnhappy) teacher�s answer!LOL

15 Nov 2011     

Anielli
Brazil

All right ;)

15 Nov 2011     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Thank you very much. I also cannot see any problem but my ex-student was told by their university teacher that there is a mistake so I �m thinking hard but still can �t find it there:-(

15 Nov 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

Just another opinion

used to [juːst]

vb (tr) (takes an infinitive or implied infinitive) used as an auxiliary to express habitual or accustomed actions, states, etc., taking place in the past but not continuing into the present I don �t drink these days, but I used to I used to fish here every dayUsage:

Usage:

The most common negative form of used to is didn �t used to (or didn �t use to), but in formal contexts used not to is preferred

http://www.thefreedictionary.com

15 Nov 2011     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

There�s no mistake in that sentence at all. :-))

15 Nov 2011     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Thank you very much, my dearest ones. You were helpful as usually. m

15 Nov 2011     

mariec
Spain

WE DID NOT USE TO BE CLOSE,correct

WE DIDN�T USE TOBE CLOSE. corree

"WE USEDN�T TO BE CLOSE,"  IS ALSO CORRECT BUT NOT MUCH IN USE THESE DAYS.

Sorry as a native I�ve never heard or used," did not used to"

16 Nov 2011