Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > What good is signing up if you can´t print anything    

What good is signing up if you can´t print anything

roneydirt
United States

What good is signing up if you can´t print anything

I just signed up and been sick with pneumonia the last month so I was lacking time to create lessons and needed work at last minute so I signed up for this site because I saw a couple hand outs I could use.  Then oh you have to have points to download anything.  That is crap.  It is just as bad as saying we need to pay to get work.  I am working in a very low income school overseas it isn�t like they have a huge finance program I can just walk in and go hey why don�t you order me this or that.  Wanted to use describing people worksheets and game.

12 Jan 2009      

EvaRamos
Panama

I certainly agree with Silke.  I am trying to emphatize with you, but I feel that is not fair with all the users here what you are just saying.  You only have to upload one single worksheet that allows you to get 30 points, and that�s it. 
 This is a website where people share more than worksheets, we share ideas, tips, happy and sad moments.  We have built a community of friends from all over the world, and if you unfortunately don�t have the time to create a single worksheet, then, I am really sorry for your students.
I feel blessed to be part of this wonderful family, but you have to remember that even in a family every member has responsibilities.

Regards,
Eva

12 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Without knowing you and seeing you it seems to me that you are symptomatic of a modern society that wants to get everything handed on a plate without having to put any effort in to put anything back.  Well, this site was designed specifically for teachers to SHARE and share means GIVE and take.  You can worry no more about the extra cost to your poor school, all it will cost you is a little imagination, a little effort and I would suggest a little more patience and politeness - the site is not crap, it works extremely well thank you and if you don�t like the conditions, then I suggest you go elsewhere.

12 Jan 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Sorry to say this, but I hope and pray you don�t have this type of  attitude with your students.   One of the finer qualities of being a teacher is to have patience, which from your tone, you are lacking.  I generally don�t criticize people, but your attitude and words have left me no other alternative.   This site is a wonderful site with dedicated teachers some of whom also work in lower income schools, but are not whining about it.  Have a little patience and you will see that you are wrong with your assumptions.  I would suggest that when you are not in so much of a rush and are feeling better that you take the time to submit a worksheet, earn points and then judge.  Thanks for hearing me out.

12 Jan 2009     

Im Lety
Mexico

Hi Roney...
Sorry to hear about your pneumonia...I could imagine what you feel when you dont have time to prepare your classes...

I believe as you said your works is a very low income school, you must have a lot of imagination to create your classses every day for the reason the school dont support you as teacher and your Ss, then I think you create all your matearial for each day...Am I right?

If so, you can share with us the work you have been doing since you are working for that school or since you are a teacher...You can earn points in one day if you work is good and complete and you dont have to worry about waiting for your points...

I have heard when people have pneumonia they have to rest...But I know too  teacher is a very demanding job...You have to prepare your class every day, even if you are really sick...

I have gone to work in poor health conditions such as diarrhea, vomiting, fever, stomach ache,Dead( yes, I admited ) LOL and my Ss and did not even noticed and of course that I have to prepare my classes a day before even in that conditions...

This is a very organized site and we spend hours making each Ws ...

Go to www.google.com  , Im sure you will find many topics and free excercises about describing people  and sure you will, you said you need a couple hand outs...Thank you and hope you get well

12 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Dear roneydirt,

sorry to read you�ve been sick with pneumonia. I know what it�s like having been quite ill a couple of times with it myself in the last few years. Pneumonia not only makes you sick when you can�t be up & about but it also has mid term effects too. Not just physical exhaustion but mental exhaustion & related psychological effects too.

I believe that (in light of my own experience with pneumonia) that you have over reacted a little in a way that is related to your recovery. If you persevere with eslprintables you will find the community is VERY SUPPORTIVE & VERY PROACTIVE. The idea of sharing our work is the cornerstone of the site. Even one reasonable quality worksheet is all you need to get 30 points easily. If you don�t believe me just have a look at the printables in my account. I�m a one-hit wonder so far!

Please don�t take the comments from my friends & community members too much to heart - they have (I feel) overreacted to your overreaction (caused by your illness & recovery period).

If you want some help or discussion please feel free to personal message me. We can exchange email addresses through that medium.

Hope you are recovering well.
Kind regards,
ab

p.s. thanks ImLety, you have a compassionate soul!

12 Jan 2009     

kenieva
United States

i love this site, and i think it�s a great resource. Lately I have been having trouble viewing the images on the files i try to upload. They are usually clipart or images i have scanned. I ended up not uploading my worksheets because they are not as nice w/o the pictures, or you simply cannot use them . Any tips?
thanks

12 Jan 2009     

roneydirt
United States

I uploaded the first paper already.  It says it takes 2 days to get it up, is that business days?  I uploaded a second today.  I was in a rush.  I have had been in and out of the hospital all of December and beginning of this month leaving to go to school to teach.  Most of the handouts were hand created so I don�t normally wait till the last minute.  If I can get access to a scanner I will scan the worksheets I created and post.  Do I seem grumpy... yes.  Is this the first time posting on the forum, yes.  Was it the first time signing up on the site, no.  Three of my worksheets were still floating on here when  I looked back in November and wasn�t allowed to access my own papers.  So I had to resign, then had to resign back again the other day.

I threw a paper for descriptive terms together but lack the time to verify that the native language was correct.  Most of the native language was correct but some was wrong. Luckily I have it set up with my classes that I am seeing if they can catch the mistakes for extra goodies.  I have found that the typical language translator is up to 30% wrong.  My worksheets that I am using right now is English/Korean based.  Once again if I get access to a scanner I will scan the work to post to see some of my work.  The pictures used were pulled off of photobucket, some my own work.

I have a lot of patients for my students.  I lack patients with adults.  Especially those that say they are there to make things easier for others and even worst attitude toward those that take advantage of the weak.  Not saying anyone on this site is on that list since for the most part don�t know most of you.  I always when meeting a new person give them a benenfit of the doubt.  As for low income I volunteered for those type of jobs, I relate.  I have a harder time with wealthier families.  I grew up in a variety of American ghettos, been homeless, and hungry.   

Now last question.  What about powerpoint?  Most of mine are rather large using English with Korean counterpart.  A picture for lower level students as well to relate with and the webster dictionary definition for higher level students.  How would I post that on here?  That is computer based, since I use my laptop for those with some rigging of the TV�s.

12 Jan 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Another legalistic question.... 

I pull worksheets off of sites hack them up using bit and pieces here and there I want, add Korean to help lower level students to better understand the directions or for the special ed class with everything add the Korean counterpart word.  Can I post that?  I don�t own the copyright on the material I pulled to create the worksheet.  Use a lot of scissors and glue.

12 Jan 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Oh this probably is redundant keep reposting on my own post.  When an individual initially signs up why not give them a 5 paper download upon signing up.  I am certain there are others that this idea would be very helpful.  Kind of a good faith thing that they will post stuff, even if they have a chance to post the same day they sign up it is 2 days later and sometimes things are out of our control and we need the items right away.

12 Jan 2009     

lopezg
United States

Hi Roney..

Sorry to hear about your pneumonia... I have also been sick for long periods of time and still had to teach. I also teach in a low income school, where I am the only ESL teacher teaching 150 students per day, and I am also always creating worksheets in a rush. Despite all these factors, I can honestly tell you that this site is the BEST RESOURCE I have discovered since I have been teaching.

There are some great sites for ESL resources where you have to pay as low as $20.00 dollars per year to be able to download their resources and lesson plans, I don�t have the money to pay for any of these resources either, so I choose to be part of this community of teachers who are not only sharing and excellent colleagues, and I mean that. They not only share their work, ideas and offer their help, but also share other websites that they have found to be useful, their professional comments and most important THEIR TIME.

I know that you also spend time creating worksheets for your own classes, so just upload them and be part of this lovely group. Once you have 30 points you will be able to download soooooooo much work for your students that will be very useful, it will keep them busy and most important it will teach them and allow them to practice their skills while maybe giving you a break.

If you really don�t like this site, I am sorry. But I can honestly tell you that all of us love it and look forward to signing in everyday, and even though I normally don�t post messages, I look forward to reading them and to seeing the pictures that to be honest with you, make me and many others very happy.     

12 Jan 2009     

1    2    3    Next >