Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > about listening test    

about listening test

Glamorous
United Arab Emirates

about listening test

hello everybody,

i need your help pleaseUnhappy

i teach students between 8-10 years oldSleepy

each time i make listening test

i use only these types of questionsDisapprove

multiple choice and write either right or wrong.Ouch

i want to use more questions but i don�t know howCry

i don�t want to use WH question because the test is assessing the listening

so please if you have any idea

tell meBig smile

today is Thursday and it is 9:49 PM in my country UAEHugUAE

the test will be on Sunday

so please help me

and i will be so glad for youEmbarrassed

9 Oct 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Glamarous,
I agree about the multi choice - when testing listening skills we do not really want children to have to comprehend the written text as well.  I have some ideas below that involve reducing the need for reading and writing:

If it is listening comprehension you are after try this fun formative assessment idea:

1)  Describe a monster or a shape the children have to draw it as you describe it.  I use to have a book for kids with english as a first language.  they really enjoyed it and I was able to assess their ability to listen and comprehend instructions.  (http://www.bedrockbooks.com.au/media/documents/Listening%20Comprehension%20U.pdf?osCsid=3c9a9c3987c236afcd63083d3c149241)

1a)  Give the students an outline of a picture - describe what colours they have to use and where (make sure they can not see their neighbours work). Even where they put their name is a part of the assessment.  It does not matter what the picture is of - as long as you tell them what to do with it! this is a very basic example of what I mean: http://www.bedrockbooks.com.au/media/documents/Listening%20Comprehension%20L.pdf?osCsid=3c9a9c3987c236afcd63083d3c149241

2) Give students a group of pictures and they have to put them in order while listening to a script.  You can do this from a video on youtube - ie a short simpsons plot or whatever their favourite cartoon is (in english).  Just take screen shots of the pictures you want for them - and then let them listen to the audio only  - you can even have a second round where they get to listen and watch the cartoon and change the order of their pictures.  The kids will love it and you get to assess their listening comprehension.  (Hmmm - I better go make one huh!)

3)Give them a fill in the gaps song with really clear pronounciation.  Richard Marx is extremely clear in his singing - if you want more suggestions of singers wtih good pronouncaition of words just ask - i am sure there are many other teachers with good recommndations.

4) website with skills for developng listening comprehension - many of these ideas make great conversation class activities: http://eduwithtechn.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/developing-students-listening-comprehension-skill-with-an-image-picture/

9 Oct 2008     

izzy27
Mexico

Hello Glamorous:

I use the following activity when I want my students to practice listening (not comprehention)
I copy and paste the lyrics of a very popular song in english and erase some words from it, then I copy it and give a copy to each of my students, they have to listen the song and complete it.

I uploaded two activities like this in power point one with the song "be free" from belinda (a mexican singer) and the other with "big girls don�t cry" from fergie, in both presentations the missing words are verbs. you can download these and use them in your class. i think this kind of activities are realy interesting for students.

hope this is useful

9 Oct 2008     

Glamorous
United Arab Emirates

thanks a lot of your reponds

butCry

in our schools we don�t use songs from singers to assess pupils listening ability ( because the singers are Arab and the songs are not for educational usages)

we relay on the songs which are in the book

for example.

this is the way i brush my teeth
brush my teeth ............etc

and if i used this song then there will be writing element in the listening test ( which is not recommended)

here is what  we do in midterm test and final tests

we wrote a script from 7 to 10 lines

the teacher reads the script

the students do the multiple choice and

(P) or (O) questions

Cry what should i do???

10 Oct 2008     

H.AL-Shamsi
United Arab Emirates

hi
u can use pictures and read story for the student and they have reorder the pictures according to story

then u can give them some sentences to reorder the story

it will lislening and writing test

10 Oct 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

It is difficult to know how to respond spefically to your request as we have no idea of the age or ability of your pupils.  If they are just beginners, then the suggestions above are more than appropriate - to test the kids understanding by showing actions or doing something in response to a command. 

I once had to prepare a set of listening tests for lower primary schools and it consisted of a number of illustrations such as a circle on top of a square, or under the square, on the right of it or on the left and the teacher simply said �The square is under the circle�.  The children had to put a tick next to the correct illustration.  This is of course a very simple example, but there were a variety of questions which definitely tested the children�s understanding of listening, rather than their understanding of the text in the questions.

If, however, they are much older and more able then the IELTS listening component has about 7 different kinds of listening responses ranging from multiple choice, to summarising, to Yes, No and Not Given, Form filling etc.  Sample tests can be downloaded from various ielts sites.  These tests are quite difficult, but they do present the students with different forms of answers - rather than the simple multiple choice.

10 Oct 2008     

Kholoud
United Arab Emirates

I must agree with Logos.  For younger students you can use the illustrations and instructions given by you as you�re concentrating on the student�s understanding of listening.  I understand with Parade 1 teachers use lots of pictures where students have to (color, tick, draw, etc). I�m not sure of the multiple choices test as I don�t consider them as  a reliable way to measure Ss� undertanding as they get lost between the spoken and the written language and thus we often find students just pick any answer randomly. However, I think Multiple choice questions are good for elder students who show some mastery in the four skills.

10 Oct 2008