Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > TV shows    

TV shows

roneydirt
United States

TV shows

Now this may sound silly but I am looking for suggestions on TV shows.  I want to create a lesson where there are 3 or 4 different programs to choose from. The class votes on which one they want to watch.  Now I do have some ideas but wouldn �t mind some additional suggestions.  It is taking me a bit longer because I need to make sure the programs are in full and not altered. 

First is there a site that is easy to use besides Youtube to view the tv shows and won �t cost money?

Second suggestions on programs.  I am a little bias since I use mostly American programs since I know them better, but wouldn �t mind other areas especially to hear other accents.  (Irony some of the programs I like cop shows and some alternative shows from England like Dr Who.)

The concept Tv program with some physical humor since most of the students are lower intermediate English level with no English and high level English mixed in.  I also want it to have some music like a band or something like that mixed in.  Part of the discussion can music and tv programs work together.

It has to be less than 30 minutes for a 45 minute class so there is discussion time.

Complicated ain �t I...

Programs I have been looking through The Three Stooges, The Twilight Zone; but running out of time since the lessons begin Friday afternoon.

2 Jun 2009      

verybouncyperson
Spain

Hello :)

Firstly I recommend checking out alluc.org - I don �t know if you can download programmes, but you can certainly watch them online.

With regards to programmes...Friends is always a popular one as most students are familiar with the series.  My other favourite is Scrubs - though both of these often contain alot of higher level colloquial language.

Another teacher I know introduced her students to Little Britain - there �s a fair amount of visual humour, but it can be a little crazy!

I would check out alluc and see what you can find...

T :)

2 Jun 2009     

Nawrocki
Australia

My students loved Mr Bean and Fawlty towers

2 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

My students enjoyed �Allo �Allo, Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, and Star Trek - I used them to work on culture, literature, but especially linguistic differences - with �Allo �Allo we did listening and speaking, because they had to correct the �French � pronunciation of English words, with Sherlock Holmes we covered British vs. American (based on vocabulary and pronunciation - I linked it to a lesson about crime though), and with Star Trek we covered different speech patterns of different people (the doctor, Tuvok, Seven of Nine and the students themselves - I posted a ws about this). I didn �t do it all at once though. I like to do these �old � shows because they are new to kids and not to their parents, so afterwards they have something to share with their parents. I got a great response for all these shows, both from the kids and parents, and even prepared a brief play for kids based on �Allo �Allo which we are planning to perform next year. The shows are not that long, so they don �t take up a lot of time, and they �re really useful linguistically. Good luck! 

2 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Btw, I don �t know if you or your students like this sort of show, but some of my kids are crazy about Primeval (it �s on itv.com) - a science fiction series about scientists, monsters from the future, portals and stuff... It �s British, one of the guys is Scottish, and it �s suposedly great. I haven �t tried to use it in class yet, but I �m thinking about it...

2 Jun 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

if you use a torrent - try mininova and look up eztv - he is one of the contributors and has a full range of tv programs including heroes - all three series.  is a very reliable source with no bugs.  you just need a free torrent to download through mininova.

i highly suggest heroes - it is the bomb!

2 Jun 2009     

Lidiana73
Australia

Roneydirt there is a great website where you can watch/download a whole variety of tv shows. I have recommended it to people who just love it! Check out www.watchtvsitcoms.com

Only thing is it does not have subtitles...but you can pause and go back if need be.

Happy viewing!

2 Jun 2009     

marta_marta
Poland

Game shows could be useful.

2 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

Roney how about talk show or documentary segments???  

2 Jun 2009