Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > games for halloween party     

games for halloween party

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

games for halloween party

Hi friends!

ErmmI  wonder if you can help me to find some new games suitable for our next Halloween party.

Last year we played with apples, the mummy game, saying vocabulary through drawings and some others.

I`d like to innovate a bit this time, you know the children tend to say ^ We did it last year^!!! 

I wait for your suggestions! Thanks a lot !
Have a nice day !

Naby

23 Oct 2008      

jpcabedo
Spain

Have a look at this website: www.mes-english.com. There�s a wonderful bingo about Halloween, among other activities. An activity I did last year was to divide my students in groups. I told one of the students in the group they they had to think of a costume for one of their partners . The rest of the group asked yes/no questions in order to guess the costume.

23 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Here�s a game, I don�t know how it will work for large groups though. But you blindfold the child and she/he has to put his/her hand into a bag (or a bowl of jelly or mud) and pull out an object and say what he thinks it is by the feel of it.... a golf ball with an eye painted on it, is an eyeball for example... and stuff like that.

23 Oct 2008     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

Great ideas! thanks ! jpcabedo and Zora - f

I forgot to tell you that the party will be held in a reception room and we

will be dressed up for the ocassion.  

I was searching on the net about some ideas but i wanted to read yours,

it`s always better when you try something previously tested by colleagues,

we can assume that it works;)

thanks again !

23 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Nabila,

I hope you have a wonderful party.  I was going to suggest sensory boxes - but I much prefer zora�s idea of putting objects in jelly.  (peeled grapes are great for eyeballs!) make sure the kids are blindfolded when feeling the objects.  Alternatively you can have a range of differt textures - jelly, slime, sand, etc.

You can always play wink murder which kids always love to play (not alot of talking involved though!) and what about a scavenger hunt using photos.  Take close up photos of thngs in the room and on the premises - like a toe bone from a skeleton you have on the wall...  The kids have to go round in pairs or small groups and write down a description of the place they have found the photo.  You give them about 10 different photos.

Good luck
Vicki

23 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Hi there again, I was reading Vickii�s fun ideas (wish I was a kid still, lol )and I remembered a game you can also play. The kids sit in a circle and they have a ball (or a bone.. hehe...) and they toss it to one another. The person who throws it says a halloween related word and the person who catches it has to make a sentence with that word... if that person can�t come up with a sentence in (say 10 seconds?) then they are out of the game. This goes on until there is only two people left and the winner or winners, then gets a prize or something like a fancy notebook or a pen...

This game can be adapted though to age groups and instead of a sentence, they just have to say a word and that word can�t be repeated for three rounds... (I say this cause there aren�t a huge amount of Halloween related words)...

23 Oct 2008     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

Thanks Girls!!! You are very creative and helpful!!Thumbs Up

I�ll try your ideas, then I�ll share my experience with you !

Hug
Naby

23 Oct 2008     

miss_yanis
Argentina

hi! I have a file on some funny games I found on the net. Write to me to [email protected] and i�ll send them to u.

I�ll use them with my students this year.

Kisses!

Miss Yanis

23 Oct 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Nabila,

There are many games kids love:

*The mummy game is one;
*putting apples in water or hanging from somewhere so they have to catch them with the mouth (no hands), 
*dividing them in lines and they have to pass the apple holding it with their chins only
*making a line or obstacles they have to sort out -blindfolded- to reach the  end 
*writing words/sticking  words on a surface so they have to make as many words from that one as possible,
*making parcels  with a little surprise inside and then adding tricks between the different layers so they are divided in groups and  put in circles having to pass the parcel until you stop the music: the one having the parcel has to unwrap it to find a trick (sing a song, move like a vampire, scream, etc) If he/she does not ,  he/she is left out.
*divide them in groups and give each group a word -letters mixed up- so they have to find out the word and hold it before the others

Smile

23 Oct 2008     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

thanks a lot Vickii, Yanis and Tere!!!Thumbs Up

I�ll try them too!!!

Hug

Naby

27 Oct 2008