Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I MAY HAVE THE LESSON YOU´RE LOOKING FOR!    

I MAY HAVE THE LESSON YOU´RE LOOKING FOR!

Ivona
Serbia

Hiya, ranclaude,
I just woke up myself, but it �s probably late afternoon where you are now. As you said, you haven �t been long here and you don �t know the site out and about yet. If you took a look at some older threads you would get a clearer picture and might understand why Libertybelle and Caroline were as direct as they were. The issue has repeated over and over again.

Also, you must learn not to take things that are said (to you) to heart, because they are often said in a friendly way but misinterpreted to be unfriendly and hostile, as an attack on one �s self. 

19 Jul 2009     

ranclaude
Australia

Hi Ivona,

Thanks for your message. You �re saying that "the issue has repeated over and over again" but there �still � is no written rule to solve this issue??? Members can �t simply take their frustration off other members just because new members are unaware of some �unwritten rule �.

I have had many members privately message me and explain certain things to me as well as condemn what �some � members have publicly said. 

I want this to be put behind and get on with downloading and uploading.  

Cheers,
ranclaude

19 Jul 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Yep, i agree that it should be put behind and that we should get on with our activities Thumbs Up, but i must ask you this: what made you (and the others) think that libertybelle was taking her frustration on you? If you (and the others who sympathised with you) read her post again, through different eyes (Smile, rather than Angry) you could see that she only meant well and that she informed you of how the forum worked. At least, that �s the way EYE see it. Maybe we should ask Lisa to enlighten us, LOL.

Again, we have the same problem of misinterpreting sth that is contrary to what was initially posted and seeing it as criticism, arguing, shouting, and the worst of all, taking it personally.

As to the rules, a vast majority of new members don �t even bother to read the rules and they keep asking about their points and worksheets and sites over and over again. They do not read the rules, they do not search the site or the threads to find what they need. The easiest way for them is to post on the forum. So even if the rule was written, very few members would acquaint themselves with it.

Wish you all well! Thumbs Up

19 Jul 2009     

rozianne
United Kingdom

Hi Ranclaude and Welcome!

I �m also relatively new here so I can recount a little of how I first felt. LOST. I felt a little lost at first. There were no clear Terms of Service written out and the forum seemed like a minefield of people screaming and complaining the whole time.

I kept a very low profile for weeks and followed quite a few threads till I gradually figured  things out.

So, your title is  I MAY HAVE THE LESSON YOU �RE LOOKING FOR! - written in capitals which often indicates shouting in forum etiquette and you included an exclamation mark to follow.

You cannot blame people for perhaps implying that you might have been self-promoting your work. We have seen it over and over and your title itself just seemed that way. I �m quite sure your intentions are perfectly innocent. It �s simple. You �re new + didn �t know.

However, nobody  �came down harshly on you in public � nor �publicly sentenced you without a hearing � nor  �took their frustrations out on you �. Those are inflammatory remarks. Not necessary.

Also, It would have simply been big of �some people � to simply send a �private message � and point out that i �ve perhaps gone against an �unwritten rule �.  Why would it have been �big of some people �?  You posted a thread in the open forum and people replied in the open forum - clearly and objectively and with much praise too. It �s hard enough on the forum already without having to remember individual demands of specific forum etiquette requests. Besides, isn �t it a tad paradoxical to suggest certain forum etiquette rules when you seem to have broken basic rules yourself?

Also, if your preferred mode of communication is PM then use PMs yourself.  And PMs are Private messages...you know Private so it �s not appropriate to post comments like this I have had many members privately message me ..... and ....condemn what �some � members have publicly said.  If I had PM �d you - for whatever reason -  I would not like the contents to be mentioned in the open forum even if my name were not referenced. It is a breach and posts like that are also considered flaming.

I �m sure your work is wonderful and you will be a most valued member of this fabulous community. But you are a newbie and are asking everyone to take that into consideration whilst at the same time criticising and flaming longtime and well-respected members of this site.

Let �s all get back to uploading + downloading instead of unloading.

Regards,

Rozianne.

19 Jul 2009     

< Previous   1    2