Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Spelling Contest !    

Spelling Contest !

miss_marina...
Chile

Spelling Contest !

Hello everybody!

I need your help,
Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how can I organize a spelling contest in my school?
I �m sure some of you have excellent suggestions.
I �m a new teacher and I need guidance.
Thanks in advance !!
Thumbs Up

23 Jul 2009      

lomasbello
Venezuela

Hi!!

First, You make a list with all the words you want the students to learn or review. Then, you organize a pre - selection of the students by level. Once, they classified to the next round you can invite some other teachers from the school to become part of the judges. In a bowl, put all the words you included in the list. It is supposed that the students one at a time take a word, pronounce it, spell it and pronounce it again. The student that fails spelling or pronouncing the word loses. Only 3 places are given. 3rd place, 2nd place and 1st place.

Judges have to show a happy face if the student does it correctly and a sad face if he /she does not. Faces are shown after the student finish to spell and pronounce the word.
The students really love to become part of a spelling bee.

Hope it helps.

Good Night

23 Jul 2009     

miss_marina...
Chile

Clap
Thanks a lot for your answer !!
Good night for you too !!

23 Jul 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Great idea!! Will try this in my Intensive English course in two weeks time with my 6 teens.
Fiona.Hug

23 Jul 2009