Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teaching adults    

Teaching adults

valeria_on
Argentina

Teaching adults

Hi everyone!!!

I �m Valeria from Argentina.

I have an adult student who has an intermediate level of English, the thing is that he understands a lot but he cannot produce anything, and at the same time he doesn �t want to speak.  He �s graduated from marketing and wants all the material related to that.
Any suggestion for this special student??

Thnks!!
V

2 Aug 2009      

sarahgriffin
Ireland

He will have to speak.  He doesn �t want to do it, because he can �t.  But what use is literal fluency if you can �t put a sentence together?

Whatever you decide, I would suggest slyly introducing conversation at first, until he becomes confident enough to ask for your help with it.  It seems wrong, but as I said before, he needs the conversation.  He needs to know its okay to make mistakes and sound a bit funny at first, maybe that might relax him

2 Aug 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

How about a summary? Give him a marketing article and ask him to summarize it - in spoken English or written English... Give him / highlight key words...
Hope it helps...

2 Aug 2009