Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Difference between Gerunds and infinitives as Subjects of a sentence    

Difference between Gerunds and infinitives as Subjects of a sentence

Rafa21
Peru

Difference between Gerunds and infinitives as Subjects of a sentence

Hello, everybody. I am new here, and I was reviewing the site which looks as a great place and where to share experience and difficulties. I have one difficulty. Probably, It seems easy, but... What �s the difference between an Infinitive and a Gerund as subject of a sentence?
All I �ve found out it �s Infinitive is used to refer an abstract concept, and Gerund is used as a noun (which I already knew). However, I think there should have another concept. If you can help me, I �ll appreciate.
Example: To drive / Driving fast across the city is dangerous.
For me, it �s Driving, but why not To drive? I have no answer Confused 

3 Aug 2009      

Carla Horne
United States

Welcome Rafa21,

An infinitive is the word To + A VERB; for example, you write, "To dance is a wonderful experience." Therefore, you are making the infinitive act as the subject of the sentence.

A gerund is a verb that ends in -ing and acts as a noun. For example, "Dancing is good for the heart." Therefore, you have a verb acting as the subject of the sentence.

Does this make sense? As for your second question, English should be efficient in that it should communicate without being too wordy. "Driving" is more efficient than "To drive," and, of course, it depends on whether there is just a shade of difference that the writer wants to convey. I would rather say, "To eat is necessary," than say, "Eating is necessary," because the first one is being stated from a more philosophical point of view. I �m not just giving a command; I want you to think about the act of eating. Please let me know if I have totally confused you.

Carla

3 Aug 2009     

hongduyen
Vietnam

I think both the infinitive and gerund can be grammatically used as a subject, but in common use, the gerund is placed at the beginning while the infinitive is often placed at the end of the clause in the extra subject structure. So we often have the sentence like these:
Driving fast across the city is dangerous. or It �s dangerous to drive fast across the city.
I hope this will helpSmile.

3 Aug 2009     

rach81
Philippines

Hello rafa,

yes gerunds are verbs which end in -ing and that they function as nouns while in finitive are formed by adding to+verb. Infinitives may also function as subjects in a sentence and can also be placed at the beginning of the sentence. Like in the sentence, TO SEE is TO BELIEVE.

rach c",)

3 Aug 2009     

Rafa21
Peru

Ladies; Thanks for your explanation and help. I was not wrong when I decided to register here. I strongly believe I �ve found an oasis.
Greetings Hug and God Bless.
Rafa
PS: Does somebody know how to make the letters bigger?... Thanks again in advanceWink

3 Aug 2009