Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Behavior charts or other classroom management techniques    

Behavior charts or other classroom management techniques

caritush
Argentina

Behavior charts or other classroom management techniques

Hello everybody... i was wondering if you use any behavior chart or something of the like in your classrooms.

I �m about to start working as a teacher in charge of 4th grade (20-22 kids) and i �m quite nervous about the classroom managment issue (i �ve had bad experience back when i did my practicumm, and at that time decided not to work at schools.... but.. here i am :/ ).

I �ve been looking up some charts and ideas online, but so far i �ve only found 1 idea.... and then I realized that I didin �t ask you guys!

So.... what do you do??

3 Aug 2009      

miss.cecilia
Argentina

Hi!

I like traffic lights.

Some ideas...

3 Aug 2009     

ants
Switzerland

welcome Cecilia and thanks for those great links!!Hug
Really useful and will try the Traffic Light one with my noisy group of kids in September!!
Fiona.

3 Aug 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Look at this link! It �s fabulous! For my last year of teaching, I will follow their advice!

Thank you for raising the topic!

http://www.marvinmarshall.com/

3 Aug 2009     

Portugal

A set of rules is necessary: you can let them define the classroom rules, as far as behaviour, homeworks, materials, attendance are concerned: they are usually stricter defining rules than we (teachers ) are.

Distribute responsabilities: for checking homeworks and other routines, like writing the date and the lesson no: 1/2 sts. for each job, every week.

Have a chart/poster to register the observance of rules. You can make a nice chart and use colours: green for good, yellow for not so good, red for not good at all.

Always give/show rewards: make a nice, colourful classroom chart for good behaviour, nice homeworks/assignments and notebooks.

I could try publishing some of mine, so that you can download them, but I �m not so sure about publishing this kind of materials here. I �d rather send them to your private mail, so that you won �t have to spend your points. There are lots of suggestions on-line, but you can also ask your school board to buy Julie Tice �s book on classroom management: The mixed ability class by Julie Tice, 1997, Richmond Publishing (London). I have had it for more than 10 years and it has always proven very useful for its great ideas.

Try to keep the classroom tidy and bright, with colourful posters ans sts homeworks spread around. They brighten the environment at keep a hardworking spirit.
You have no reason to be nervous: be self-confident, tender,  yet very firm, and you will enjoy your profession, if you are meant to be a teacher.
Best regards.
nikadixon

3 Aug 2009     

caritush
Argentina

Hey there, thanks for the comments and the links!

I knew already about the traffic light, the coordinator told me that they have used it iin the past, but it only worked for them as long as it was a novelty.... afte rthat, ss juts ignored it...

The assignation of tasks and "jobs" is a nice idea to ponder on...... thanks!
the problem is that it �s not an english classroom itself. ss use the classroom for most subjects, so there are already lots of posters and projects on the wall.... english unfortunatelyis not much of a priority... if i were to put up a poster of a hcart, i �d probably have to put it up and take it down every class, still not discarding the idea.... but it �d be quite incovinient if there were manyn posters to put up everyclass... i dont mind doing it with one or two thugh...

and nikadixon, I teach already, it �s just that after the prcaticumm and graduating, i opted mainly for adult students, in-company clasess and private studnets (includiing kids only for tutoring)... I �ll send you a pm with my email so that you can send me those charts. thanks in advance!!

So who else, what other methods do you use teachers?? Smile

4 Aug 2009     

miss_marina...
Chile

1. Well, I use games. If they have a good attitude in class, I organize a game or a competition. But if they don �t, we don �t play at all.

2. Also, I use a "motivation chart" in which I put stickers to the students that speak in english and have a good behavour.

3. I create rules for the classroom with them. I write them down in a poster and I make them sign it at the beggining of the year.

4. I always name a student to have the "honor" to be my assistant.

5. I check their notebook very often.

6. I assess their attitude in class.

Cheers and hugs!

4 Aug 2009     

Missbea1
Mexico

Hi there...
I have been a teacher of 1st younger students for about 5 and I also taught in 3rd and 5th grade. I will tell you what has worked for me ... if it doesn�t work for you maybe you will be able to modify it or be enlightened to do something that will fit them.

Setting up the rules is very important, being coherent with the rules is even more important than the rules per se, but I have found that they get irritated when you do not follow the rules that you negotiated with Ss.  I do posters in class with the rules, but I also ask children to copy them on their notebooks and sing these rules since I ask them to express what is important for them in class in order to avoid a teacher with bad caracter... and they all know what you are talking about. You set some rules of your own to compliment them.

I do claping exercises like I clap several times and they have to clap back what they heard.  Clapping means it is time to get ready and sit down in silence.  They won �t feel offended, you won �t have to race your voice and if someone ignores you you call their names and that is basically it.  I use this mainly at the begining of the class or to get them calm after a game or more dinamic activity.

I also give them many chances before a report is sent to them.  If I call their attention I say 1st call 2nd call and 3rd call.  After the 3rd call they have to leave for 3 minutes and when time is up I ask them if they are ready to come back and behave like the others.  If his discipline is still not there I tell them again 1st call and 2nd call and this time they will have to wait outside for 5 minutes... when time is up I ask them again if they are ready to come back and behave properly and I tell them that if behavior doesn �t change I will send them a report just by calling his attention 1 more time, specially since the kid has been given so many chances he almost never disagrees he deserves his report.

Another advice it to always solve children conflicts at the time when they occur, change students from one place to another and explain that you are trying to help them not punish them.  This is so that the child can be more focused and less distracted and you want to avoid calling his attention repetitively.  Tell them you help them but they have to control themselves and put in their share.

Singing or chanting short songs that they know well and lowering your voice as the song finishes works well grabs their attention.  You sing and they sing along, by the time you finish they have to be sitting down and ready for class or else is counted as 1 call.  Try to treat them as fair as you wished you could had been treated when you were a kid and think that this kids to feel that you are being fair to them or else you will always be disagreeing with them, and they can get to your bones and make your life really difficult at time.  Be smart apply your rules in a consistant and fair way.  Talk to them about consequences not punishments they will see in with different eyes.

That�s it for today... I hope it helps.

8 Aug 2009