Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > "Welcome to ESL printables, we īre glad to give you 5 points as a starter present and are looking forward to your contributions" - how does that sound?    

"Welcome to ESL printables, we īre glad to give you 5 points as a starter present and are looking forward to your contributions" - how does that sound?

Mariethe House
France

@ victor

Your idea is a good one! But there again, who will be able to help, but the ones who already know everything and can do everything?

If I am honest, I don īt download very often because I think I have to adapt the ws to my needs and very often it takes me longer than devising my own ws!

What I think is uncomparable about the site you have created is the amazing network of friendship and help and generosity!!

Some people are working in such conditions ( 46 pupils to a class, one member said on the board the other day!) that they have neither time nor energy to create!
Are we , if we place ourselves on a world level, to let them starve and carry on with the unjustice?
Can īt we , as teachers,set the example, ? When  you see people starving in the street, do you ask for a īthank you ī first,? Do you think: " this is none of my business!"

I am 59 years old and will soon retire! Do I sound too idealistic? These have always been my values! Could we not participate with this wonderful idea of yours, to a better world? Why do we have to make things so hard to get when there is not such a big issue behind it?

All the best to you.
Mariethe

5 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear Mariethe

I know that you last post is meant to victor. But anyway I feel like to give my Impression.

First, I don īt really, see what you mean by "But there again, who will be able to help, but the ones who already know everything and can do everything?"
because I always saw that any one new and old is ready to help without distinction,  without any prejudice and moreover without waiting for any compensation.

Second, concerning teachers with classes of 46 SS. This is not an excuse not to prepare your own work for your pupils and relay only on ready-made things.
I can tell you that, during all my career, I had to teach classes of 40, 45, and even 50 SS and not only 2 or 3 classes but during the luckiest school year it is no less than 5 to 6 classes. Because we have always been no more than 3 teachers to share at least 19 to 20 classes sometimes 21 to 22.
However, we were always able to prepare our WS. And don īt ask about the means? During my first 12 to 13 years we were very lucky if we could find one of the two Latin typewriters available in school free. Yes, we had two Latin typewriters and an old "Ronio" (to duplicate the WS) to share administration and teachers. We were able to prepare our own WS because all the teachers nationwide agreed that the textbooks had become useless and outdated after their two or three years of existence (just before I started). The proof, since I started work there was a common sentence repeated by all the inspectors I had the chance to work with. It is; "Don īt be the slave(s) of the textbook." I heard it a million times and I said it as much when I became a coordinator teacher and had supervised many trainee teachers.

And by the way, now I remember, I regret that I can īt upload some of those WS by laziness because I have to retype them and it wouldnÂīt be the same as they are made by typewriter.

So, I think, a teacher once his first months or at least first year passed can īt say that he didn īt prepare or he is not able to prepare a simple WS.

Victor and many people here consent some of their time to find a way not to discourage the new comers but let īs not ask too much too.

EDIT : The "you" is impersonal.

5 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Very legitimate reaction, indeed. LadyBird.

5 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

I agree with you ladybird but since many members and also Victor are willing to give these newcomers something to ""Encourage"" them to share. Be it and let īs wait and see. In Algeria there is an expression which says almost the following: "Let īs accompany the liar till the door of his house" Which means in some way, let īs give arguing, complaining people a chance which will either turn in their favour or against them. Very often it is against them. And they prove their fault by themselves.

5 Aug 2009     

wilwarin32
Argentina

I don īt think it īs so hard to get the "most wanted thirty points". I believe all of us have loads of work, not only at school, but also at home; and we īve all been able to achieve that goal! In my case, having a little child makes it quite hard for me  to find the time to do nice wss for my pupils or to contribute to the site (which I haven īt done lately, to tell the truth), but I managed to do so. As all of you did. So, why change it?  Besides, the thirty points rule it īs what īs made me improve my work, of course no one downloaded my first wss, or maybe somebody did it out
pity LOL!!!, but I finally got them, and more important, I learnt to enhance my work, to make it more interesting and motivating. I think nothing should be changed. Hug

6 Aug 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

I just got here and, like Silke, I am also dizzy with all the different suggestions and points of view.  Like her, I also believe that we should īlet this site stay as it is ī.
In Brazil we often say that "Não se mexe em time que está ganhando" meaning that, if something is working out fine we should not try to perk it up.
When I first found this site I was disappointed because I had to upload wss and I did not think that mine were of much use to anyone. I had limited computer skills and my wss were very simple. A few days later I gathered courage to send a printable. It was downloaded by 6 or 7 people and that encouraged me to send more.  Soon I was hooked!  I am glad I was not given anything for free because it made me try and get better.
On the other hand, my daughter is also a member. I made some wss for her because she "didn īt have time". (I know, I know... We can īt accept other people īs work but a mum is not īanother person ī.)  Soon she became a premium member and, is she active here? No! Why not? Because she did not work for it!
Please, Victor, let the newcomers show some effort and do not, as Zailda once said, give them the fish. It is better to help them learn to fish for themselves.

6 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7