Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Get a quote    

Get a quote

bubacskam
Romania

Get a quote

Hello my friends!

I came across this phrase in some commercials and I wonder what exactly does it mean: GET A QUOTE, NOW. I tried to translate it into several languages but it doesn �t seem to have any sense. The only thing I can think of is to get an initial price for a product...

Have a great day!Thumbs Up

Krisztina

6 Aug 2009      

cbarghini
Italy

Hi Krisztina,
"to get a quote" means to obtain a price estimate on an item or service you are interested in.
Enjoy your day!
Clara

6 Aug 2009     

jamiejules
France

yes, a quote is when for instance you want new windows fitted in your house you then phone several professionals who come and look and then send you a quote: how much it will all cost.
after the work has been carried out they then send you an invoice which is the bit of paper that tells you how much it all was, so how much you have to pay (of course the quote and the invoice should show roughly the same amount!!)
hope that helped

6 Aug 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

A quote is short for �a quotation"

6 Aug 2009     

tjmorton11
Slovakia

You got good advice from the folks above!  I am close to you (I �m in Slovakia) and hope to do a motorcycle trip through the mountains in Transylvania someday!

6 Aug 2009     

douglas
United States

It �s a price estimate.  (can also be short for quotation, but you don �t "get a quotation")

I think it literally means " get a price quotation"--the seller "quotes" you a price for something which in most countries is a binding to some extent.

6 Aug 2009