Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Hi Teachers!!!!    

Hi Teachers!!!!

goodnesses
Algeria

I agree with most here that answer keys can be useful in that way they can save time and only this. However, many teachers rely on answer keys especially the new who at the beginning of their career and this can be somehow harmful at the long term. They can sometimes lead to embarrassing situations in front of the SS. Then the answer keys aren �t mistake free. I saw many WS including answers that weren"t correct or that were ambiguous and confusing.

Thus, I don �t think the answer keys should be an obligation in the WS. The average teacher is able enough to find the answers by himself. The most time it can take us for a WS is 10 to 15 mn. This make him also can push him to search and check in his reference books in order to sure of what he is going to give his SS. It is a way of learning and staying up to date with his knowledge of the language.

So, if the member includes the keys in his WS, that �s fine that will save some mn. if not, it won �t matter.

For the teacher �s book I think it is the same. We should not rely on them all the time. But only and only when the situation is really confusing. This happens often because there is something wrong in the text book.

Then, if someone finds a problem with a certain point in some WS, he/she can always expose it here on the forum. This will be a good matter for discussion. And it is better have the opinion of a bunch of teachers than to rely on the keys on a WS or a teacher �s book.

Just a thought
Regards everybody.

10 Aug 2009     

fletsch
Canada

My opinion is that providing the answer keys to our own worksheets that we upload and share here is just a common courtesy to our fellow peers.  When we upload our worksheets here, the purpose is to help teachers by sharing our worksheets and saving each other time.  I believe that including the answer key is just as important as providing the instructions to our lesson plans.  Of course, it is important to check the answer keys as well.  After I have downloaded another members worksheet I always check the answer keys before going to class to make sure there are no surprises.  

10 Aug 2009     

tricia973
Uruguay

I totally agree with all said before, keys are many times invaluable timesavers! I generally make a key of those worksheets who don �t have it and those I always check those who do have them since as already said... we are all humans and we obviously made mistakes no matter how professional we are..

However, as goodnesses said it is a good way to find  the answers by ourselves this way not relying too much on given answers... I use teachers � guides only when I have serious doubts about something... but I was taught to rely only on my ability to search and research when preparing a topic or theme... Moreover, sometimes teachers � guides also have mistakes!

Personally I �ve never considered including a key in my worksheets since I don �t consider that for downloading someone �s worksheet..  but now that you mention it I think I �ll start doing so just as a guide... We teachers have to deal with soooo many things that free time is almost an utopia, isn �t it? I myself have 11 groups with an average of 30 students each! And I know this is the situation of most teachers...

Have a nice day you all!!

10 Aug 2009     

tricia973
Uruguay

sorry for my spanish switch... I meant "valuable timesavers" :)

10 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2