Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "In addition" - doubt    

"In addition" - doubt

Zora
Canada

It sounds fine to me. We are talking about the qualities of Roger.. which are "he �s a responsible boy at home" and "a good student". Not one quality despite the other...

It �s like saying...

In addition to being a great hockey player, he �s a wonderful father... - You are talking about his good qualities.

10 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

First, the sentence with "in addition" is correct. But you said it yourself "they sound "off" for some reason - even though they are correct"

Your example is a bit different. In your example, being a great hockey player does not affect the fact of being a good father. In Rogers case, working hard to help the family has an effect on his studies because they are closely related. And according to me using a concession clause emphasizes more the Rogers being a good person.

This is just an opinion.

10 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

No, not really.. we just see it different ways...

Being a great hockey player could also mean that the person is always busy and never home, with no time or interest to his child... which using "in addition to" clarifies that he is not only a good sportsman but a good father...

The same with Roger.

In addition to
being a good student (i.e. he �s bright), he works hard to... (obviously not a lazy son, he cares about his family)... Both are good points that Roger has and that we are pointing out...

Anyways, I will leave the discuss open since we are both right - it all depends on the circumstances surrounding "Roger" ... 

10 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2