Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Action follows upon being: Habits are a second nature    

Action follows upon being: Habits are a second nature

Portugal

Action follows upon being: Habits are a second nature

Habits are a second nature (Latin: operari sequitur esse) (adapted from my blog)

Thursday is my day of substituting missing teachers; no lesson plan from the absent teacher (emergency), no ICT room available, where I can work on my webquests, no better alternative, except for� studying. 

Class shocstruck (earthquakes happen):

- Study, Mrs. Jorge!??! But we have nothing to study!

- How come students have nothing to study?!?! (Mrs. GoofyJorge) - Can you explain how an 8th grader has nothing to study, as if I were M. DumbGoofy?

The most recent t perspectives of education, much focused on instrumental aspects of education, have neglected the fundamental concept of habit.

ï¿½Persuaded� (at last!) that I had no intention of leaving the �premises� without getting them to study, they still had to clean up the mess on the tables, I mean, technically the study area, loaded with all kind of gadgets, obviously highly expendable for the purpose of a classroom, except for books notebooks, and dinosaur-alike stuff (Can we listen to music on our i-pods? Mrs. Jorge, pleeeease?, (ongoing negotiation - we are talking about a group of 8th graders here, folks)

If education has something to do with personal development, then it is fairly clear that education is to promote habits of work and reasoning, because the habits are the extension of our essential nature, they organize our lives, making it easier.

- In a few minutes, I�m going to check on what each one of you is studying (dramatically drawing personal checklist for substitutions.

(SternSurpriseStares at one another!)

Humans are, coressencially, unfinished projects, as far as they carry, along with their essential nature, the one they were born with, another one, the operational activation of the first, which is a result of hard work and effort, kind of ergonomical extension of nature.

Mr. Pimply, the one who, one of these days; showed up loaded with cheapwhisky , spreads himself on the book of Physics - 3 o�clock Springtime is no good ally.

- Come on, do you want help?

Education core task: scaffolding/  supporting the growth and blossom of  Human Being: operari sequitur esse

Mr. Gellyhair, at the corner of Classroom, studies French with his book up:

- Studying French in perspective??

Ortega Y Gasset (Spanish philosopher) stated that we have a biographical life, meaning that our life experiences can activate,  one way or another,  - or simply not activate - our natural abilities.

Passed more two and offered support, gave the �tactics�
- Now, please write the conditional of the verb to see (voir, in French), I want to check out.

nous verrions...

If education is about human development, the purpose of it is to develop a series of relatively consistent and stable patterns.

Habits are acquired through extensive practice, through the consolidation and stabilization of behaviour and the repetition.

- You two, what are you doing?
- We are collecting information for the Project Area
- How?
- We read, we highlight, we take notes.
- Okay. Proceed ( love this word: military great-granny, father, uncles, American nephew; lawyers public attorney and judges: five cousins).

-         Call me, if you need help.

Habits are acquired in very flexible - and diverse - ways. Students with good study routines, don�t  always follow the same routine, but they all have something in common: caution, attention,
self-esteem, self-regulation.

Bell rings & Chairloudragging

-         HOLD IT RIGHT THERE, please! Take it easy ... we have to leave the room tidy, don�t we?

-          Mr. Pimples, what�s that paper under your chair? Can you pick it up and put it in the recycle bin, please? Appreciated.

And everyone said good afternoon, Mrs. Macgoofyjorge!

It�s been such a pleasant way� Mission accomplished.

Quotations:  

Quotes on Habits
Francis Bacon: Choose the life that is most useful, and habit will make it the most agreeable.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky:the second half of a man�s life is made up of nothing, but the habits he has accumulated during the first half.

Confucius: Men�s natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart.

(Crawling to PC, while everybody still asleep. American family visiting: Shhhh� It�s all so quite�)

17 Aug 2009      

serene
Greece

Hello Idalina!
The situation you are describing sounds so familiar! My students (well, many of them) react the same way when I ak them to simply skim a text, no matter how hard I have tried to motivate them through various pre-reading activities.
Have a nice day!
serene

17 Aug 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Hi nikadixon

What a pity your blog is not in English!

17 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Hi! I don �t have many problems such as this with sts I started off with when they were in the 1st or 3dr grade (force of habit for them now - you �re right), but two years ago I had to take over a high school group of sts from a teacher who moved to another city. She had been real friends with them - I don �t allow cell phones in my class, keep parent �s meetings, demand homeworks, and my language games are actually language games - you can just imagine how they hated me from their core.... Lasted till Christmas though, for most of them... Forever for some... For me, they were a really, really, really difficult lesson to learn. Made me respect my own methods though, because they eventually did bring results...
Great topic, in unusual language (guess that �s what baiba means), but very picturesque!
Anita

17 Aug 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Ha ha ha! It is not so bad with me, Anita! I could read what Idalina wrote here but I was referring to her actual BLOG to which she gave a link at the beginning...

17 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Dear Baiba, yesterday, when I was translating, I thought to myself: what I posted both in English and in Portuguese? That would mean HUGE amount of work and I�m still trying regaining some energy to go back to it and restart posting. I could start a new one, but the blog title is a Greek work, which refers to Socratic education and I don�t feel like giving the word PAIDEIA  away.

Dear Anita, your post would take me hours to respond - and I would delightfully do it, but online communication has its limits.

I would, nevertheless like to highlight a few issues you have raised.

1. You say you don�t have such problems. Since I was referring to study habits, and you may also have understood some discipline issues involved, I will tell you that we have many sts of Eastern origin. They are usually very good sts, mostly for two reasons: 1) their parents are educated people; 2) their style of raising children is different from ours.No matter what people could reason on this, I �m delighted with these sts: they are so gentle, well-raised and at the same time, so hardworking sts. And they learn our language so quikly, they focus, they work hard. 

2. I don�t believe much on the trend of teachers being friends with sts., as much as I don�t believe much on the parents being their children�s buddies. There are some roles involved on all sides that can�t be mixed up. I guess this was what you were referring to. A certain transitional distance pays off. It can seem more difficul at the beginning, but, at medium and long term, as you put it this approach brings results; I would add, two types of results, more positive attitudes, a proper awareness of how relationships work and academical results, which are, after all the main goal of School. An adequate argumentationon could take us hours, but I guess I will stop here.

Serene, those activities you mentioned are essential to scaffold their intelectual growth, that´s why I appreciate Socratic Education so much. I reckon, though, that it cost him his life.

Thank you, Baiba, Serene and Anita, for responding. Have a nice day.

17 Aug 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

had a great time reading this, nikadixon. tried your blog - some Latin an French helps to understand at least your biography, - but for the rest, no way
pity really...
Here �s my saying of the week for you:

If you could kick the person responsible for most of your troubles in the backside, you wouldn �t be able to sit down for two weeks.

nice, isn �t it?
I �ve started putting up sayings of the week in my school: one in large letters and then lots of little ones that students can tear off and take home for reflection.
Dying to know whether they will be interested!!

17 Aug 2009