Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Criteria for getting a job???    

Criteria for getting a job???

monicaviseu
Portugal

Criteria for getting a job???

Hello!

This morning I wrote a post about teachers in Portugal and I got many answers.
After reading Ivona �s post I really got curious:
What is it like in your countries?
According to what criteria are you chosen or rejected for a job?
Who decides upon it?
Can you bribe someone to get a job in a public school?

Bye,
M�nica

17 Aug 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

To get a job in a school is hitting jackpot nowadays. It is because everyone wants to get into a school and again it is because it is a safe one (safer than any other), you have it until it �s time for you to retire. Then, the monthly income is regular and in the south where i am, 3-4 times higher than the other incomes (that �s if you have a job at all).
The situation makes a perfect soil for breeding bribery and bribers. You have to know people, especially the principals, if you want to be accepted to the post. There are cases where a few thousand euros are paid to the principal to get the job for which another 10-20 people applied as well. Also, it is advisable that you belong to the political party ruling locally. It increases the possibility for you to get the job.
I was lucky enough to graduate when they started with the school reforms and the children started learning english from the age of 7 and not 9. The English teachers were needed and i took the chance. It �s much harder to get a post now.

As to the private schools ... they abuse you, by making you work like a slave while they �re getting the cream.

18 Aug 2009     

reeta1
Canada

In Canada, to get a teaching job you need, theoretically, a four year undergraduate degree and a one year teacher �s college degree. Then unless you want to teach French, and I �d rather have sharp, pointed sticks poked repeatedly in my eyes before I �ll do that again, it �s really who you know. Boards want fresh graduates so old grads like me (eight years ago) are fighting for jobs. You have to go in to an interview and blow them away with knowledge of balanced literacy and assessment for learning. It absolutely helps if you know a principal who can put in a good word for you.

18 Aug 2009     

jaeckerly
Mexico

I didn �t realize how lucky I was to have gotten a job at a public vocational school in Mexico until after I was hired; before then I had taken the whole hiring process in stride. It was a year-and-a-half-long process in which I had to take tests in English and Spanish on grammar, teaching, and even the Mexican Constitution, give a model class, and take tons and tons of paperwork in. I ended up "not getting the job," and I left it at that. 

It turned out the principal tried to give the job to the man who had scored lowest on all the tests because he was a relative. Long story short, I got a call several months later informing me that I needed to come in for a final interview, after being told the job was not mine. They took one look at my belly (8 months along with my son) and said, "Well, you had gotten first on all the evaluations, but you won �t be wanting the job anyways, now, will you?" I said, "Yes! I want it!" 

They gave me until November 1st to report to work. My son was born October 23rd after a morning of vigorous walking in the park, and I got the job! Now that I have a "base" or permanent contract, the job is mine to keep as long as I don �t commit a serious crime. Tongue

That �s my story, but the hiring process is not the same all across Mexico. It never crossed my mind to bribe anybody, but the teaching community here in Mexico is rife with stories of bribery and nepotism.

18 Aug 2009