Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Getting them to talk!!!    

Getting them to talk!!!

mariannina
Italy

I, too, use a lot of games, especially with children who often have their
"silent" periods.
Try here:

Ciao

19 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I meant the board games you can find here!  Ones where they ask each other simple questions.
Hope you �ve gotten ideas from all the brilliant people here!
Hugs
L

19 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Have you tried phone conversations? I had my kids in Korea do a pizza order.  The kids did really well and learned phone conversation and etiquette as well as the different sizes of pizzas and their toppings. lol. I can send you the script if you want. I use two old phones for it. The kids have a blast and some are even able to ad lib.

19 Aug 2009     

dayssb
Brazil

You can prepare a roll of thread with some knots on it and a package with some words inside it. Start explaining the rules: One student is going to take a word from the package and he/ she starts creating and telling a story in which he/ she needs to use that word. While he/ she tells the story, he keeps unrolling the roll of thread. He/ she only stops talking when he/ she finds a knot. Then, this students passes the roll to another student who takes another word from the package and MUST continue the story, now, using his/ her word until he also finds a knot and passes it to the next student...
When preparing the words, try to add words that have nothing in common so that the stories will be really funny.  My students and I had lots of fun playing it.

19 Aug 2009     

Kohaku
Japan

Thank you all!!!  I feel so energized for my next lesson. I feel that I will be better equipped to get these students ready to speak!! I truly am grateful for all that this site has to offer. This is helping make my teaching career successful. Pig

19 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

19 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2