Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > POWER POINT - MOST POWERFUL TOOL IN THE HANDS OF TEACHERS    

POWER POINT - MOST POWERFUL TOOL IN THE HANDS OF TEACHERS

sarahgriffin
Ireland

Great videos Ivona!!!!!!!

23 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

LB,
Thanks, but I am aware of this. :)  My point was for her/him to make the power point.  

23 Aug 2009     

HOLYMARY_852
India

I agree that the teacher is the most important source (not a tool) to inspire the students with thier personal persuations, motivations, feelings etc.  I only wanted this additional tool to be used like any other teaching aid. I am also sorry to hear that most of the students do not have the facilities to use computers in their schools. I feel every school should have a computer lab with at least two students to share each computer. I have it in my school here of which I am the manager too in addition to being a teacher. Of course, it requires finance to establish a computer lab. The beginning can be made with less no. of computers. Thanks everyone for response to this subject on the forum.

23 Aug 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

I �m a really old teacher who can remember the days when we didn �t have photocopiers, CD players , computers or youtube.... not quite the days of the slate but close.

However I love the new technology. I believe that those of us who are lucky enough to have the equipment  should  use it...but  use it wisely.

Of course there are days when our "brilliant technology" breaks down and then it is back to the teacher. Technology is just one of the many tools at our fingertips.

So it always comes back to the skill of the teacher. And that only comes from constant learning ....therefore thanks once again for this great site.

23 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I agree with most people, and have 2 things to say:
1. a good teacher always makes the most of what he/she has at disposal
2. use the materials you feel most comfortable with - if you feel awkward with sth, your sts will probably feel it.
Sometimes I use ppt, but I don �t just do it for the sake of using technology, and then I plan my lesson so that the ppt best serves my purpose in teaching that day. Sometimes, as Ivona said, I also feel the ppt is an obstacle, sort of, between me and the sts, so I prefer a different type of lessons. It also depends upon the fact if you have the technology for it, or the knowledge. And I �ve even overheard some of my sts comment on things like this(they usually comment their other schools in our dressing room, and probably our courses in the other school): �Yes, we have an overhead projector in our x classroom, but what good is it if the teacher doesn �t know what he/she is doing? �
So, as in any other job, the teacher has to know what he/she is doing! And also why they �re doing it, I would add! I �ve seen people use technology in classrooms simply for the sake of flaunting their modern approach, but without any linguistic or educational background!
A good lesson comes from the heart. If you feel it, you prepare it well, even if you only have your eyes and voice at disposal.

23 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Just a little story about Powerpoint and new technology.

One day about 130 teachers of English (from my district) were invited (polite way to say summoned) to assist a seminar given by the inspector (the person designated by the ministry of education to form and overlook the teachers � work: the big BOSS) It was about some new correction and adaptations of the textbooks.
All people arrived in time at the school where the seminar had to be. In the amphitheatre  were a computer and a projector shown ostentatiously and Mr. Inspector so happy. He is going to give a formation seminar using the new technology. OK guys let �s begin. Switch on computer! No, computer. On, the projector! No, projector. So, on the lights! No, light. And the highlight of the show was ... that Mr. inspector hadn �t prepared for this eventuality. All his work was on powerpoints.

I let you imagine the end of the story and what good lesson the teachers got.

Regards everybody!

23 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I love this story, goodnesses! I know it didn �t make you smile that day - you all probably had other thoughts on your mind. You �ve just illustrated my/our point - we have to know what we �re doing (regardless the technology we have or don �t have). Bill2joy and others, I also remember teaching with nothing - drawing wss by hand for my sts, singing without a CD-player, etc. I must say I still have lessons which I do exactly that way - as if there was nothing technical in my classroom. I am blessed with having a lot of equipment at my disposal (which I have learned to use properly), but still, sometimes I just need the old-fashioned lessons... and so do my sts! Interesting topic!
Getting back to the original post, Holymary, you do make a good point as well - some teachers I work with have the desire to use and make ppts, but miss the point - for instance, they waste so much time choosing lovely pictures, that they forget to make it a linguistic ppt, or they provide the whole text at once, instead of keeping the sts in suspense, and I especially find it irritating when people use ppts to simply read their lectures (not lessons) from the slides, instead of making the ppts challenging. However, I must say many of them are beginners in this and once they learn the techniques and possibilities, their work becomes much better! When we are ready to learn, we can make progress!

23 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2