Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Do you consider it fair?    

Do you consider it fair?

MyFairy
Argentina

Do you consider it fair?

Hi, everybody!
I upload my worksheets according to the size of the file and not the number of poitns I am planning to get with the ws.
What do you think?
Is it fair to upload a ws in sections, i.e. in different uploads, so that you can get more points?
I think that is something very unfair...
What �s your opinion about this?  
I know it is the user �s option to download (or not) one or twelve ws. But I refrain myself from doing so, because I don �t consider it part of a "fair game"!
The longest WS I have uploaded is a complete guide to use poems and poetry, with more than 30 pages and I did it in only one file... perhaps that �s the reason why I don �t get so many points...

I just wanted to share this feeling... Would you like to share yours?

Thanks
Eugenia

31 Aug 2009      

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

Uploading multiple wss is not necessarily related to gaining points. If you prepare theme wss (pictionary, test, exercises, game) I think it �s better to split before uploading. A teacher may be interested in the game but not in the test, and no one is obliged to download all the parts, they download only the part they want.

Downloading 30 wss a day, it �s better to have only what you need or this "extra weight" will make the difference in your computer soon. Why do I have to download a complete ws on the verb to be (grammar guide, test, game, board game, crossword, etc, etc...) if I �m looking only for a test, for example? Do I need to have all the 300kb in my computer for it if 40kb with a test would be enough for me?

Sometimes the size matters, I prepared a ws with 27 pictures and since it �s a turorial, I didn �t want to reduce the size or they could be unclear. The total size was over 740kb. I even thought of uploading it to box or other storage site and provide the link here, but it took me nearly 3 hours to prepare, would it be fair? And would all the members notice the link or only a few members who read the forum every day?

I decided to split it into 3 parts (more than 200kb each one) and I don �t consider it unfair. Everyone is free to download a ws or not, if you consider a member �s behavior unfair, just don �t download it. We don �t know the other people �s reasons so it �s difficult to judge fairly too.

Maybe some people think about points when spliting a ws, others don �t. But what �s the problem with it? If a member likes to collect points for his personal satisfaction (and I can �t see another reason for having so many points) it won �t hurt. Points are synonym of people recognizing your work as useful and worth of downloads - and future use with hundreds of students, so let �s give the members the chance to price their work as they want. If they think their work is worth of 3 instead of only one download, what �s the matter?

31 Aug 2009     

MyFairy
Argentina

Thanks for your opinion! I get your point and share it too!
But I was refering to splitted WSs, when you need to download 5 pages to get it complete...

Thanks, Zaila for your answer...

31 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

If a ws has some parts: a game, a grammar guide and exercises, for example, I don �t see any problem in splitting it. But if a person uploads a ws in pages, or flashcards in separate downloads, and if the ws doesn �t make sense itself, in my opinion it can be reported, because as I said, no one is obliged to download multiple wss if they don �t want.

I saw some wss reported for this reason and I voted for the removal because the member uploaded a crossword and the keys as different documents forcing people who wanted the crossword to download the keys as well,  so we voted for the removal. As I said, each case is different and we have to analize one by one.

31 Aug 2009     

jennybohmes
Argentina

I know what you mean eugedell. I have noticed that too. 

31 Aug 2009     

MyFairy
Argentina

zailda,
That �s what I meant!!!
TXS, jemmybohmes!

Stella, I got your PM... and I couldn �t agree more!

kisses
Eugenia

31 Aug 2009