Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Shocking!    

Shocking!

N.F.T
South Africa

Shocking!

Ok, so I realised something today.  The school that I work for is FIRST AND FOREMOST a business. Being new to this profession, I don �t know if this is the norm?  I was expecting PASSION FOR LEARNING and STUDENT ORIENTATED.  The brochure for the school claims that we take students on HIKING TRAILS, PARACHUTING!!!!!!!! WE HAVE REGULAR EVENTS!!!! None of these things have happened - and there has never been any talk about anything remotely exciting.

That has been on my mind, oh, I �d say a while now.  And then today happened.

I was teaching a class - and outside my shoe-box sized classroom I hear "SHUT UP SHUT UP JUST SHUT UP!!" being...SCREECHED (I think is the best word).  I open the door (or lid) of my little shoe-box-room and there is a teacher (she �s in her 50 �s) screeching at one of MY STUDENTS and wagging her fist in his face!!!!! WHAT??????  So of course I enquire, I need to know why a student is being yelled at and threatened with this old bag �s fisticuffs.  The answer:  This student of mine - he �s in my advanced class, as well as taking private lessons with me while he prepares for his TOEFL in a month and a bit - had requested a quieter room to sit and do exercises and some listening practice.  Up until now he has been sitting in the reception area, as our school is very small and there is very little space.
They had refused him this - even though there is a room standing open (with the photocopy machine inside) but it �s a bit cluttered and he wanted to move some things around...so he ASKED.  Somehow that escalated into the fists and screeches I heard...I �m not sure how rapid it was OR what exactly was said between those involved, BUT I KNOW THIS:  THAT IS NO WAY TO SPEAK TO OR ACT AROUND A STUDENT!!  ESPECIALLY ONE THAT IS TRYING TO GET AS MUCH EFFECTIVE AND PRODUCTIVE WORK DONE AS POSSIBLE!! 

On further investigation (i love a good CSI) I spoke to the school manager (as the owner is away on holiday in Hungary - I �ve never met her as I �ve only been there little over a month) and he had the same �who gives a shit about the student � approach!  Apparently when the student had spoken to him he said that the student should pay extra if he wants to use this room - that "this is a business and we need to make money"  WHAT???????????? I repeat:  WHAT???????????!??!?!??!  I CANNOT COME TO TERMS WITH THIS.

I took the student aside and said that I will try arrange something, but he was obviously very upset about the whole ordeal, and couldn �t understand what the problem was - why can �t he use another room...he can �t concentrate in the RECEPTION AREA - people come and go....WHO CAN ARUGE WITH THAT??

I don �t know what to do.  I �ve now lost my private student as a result - he doesn �t see what the hell he �s paying for (and I don �t blame him when he �s being treated like that) but has come to me and asked that I teach him privately (at the moment the booking for the private lesson is through the school) and he �ll rather pay me directly than bother with the school.  I truly believe that the school lost that student today...if not in body then most certainly in respect and spirit.  He WANTS TO LEARN - why are they not encouraging this? 

Should I contact a woman I �ve never met (the owner) and tell her about this conduct...or, being the new-teacher-in-the-box should I keep my opinions to myself?  Should I really FIGHT for the student (I�m totally on his side regarding this matter...I would be furious if I were in his shoes...I would write a very strongly worded letter;) or should I accept that YES this school is about being PAID because it is a business.

These students come to South Africa from all over the world to learn english - our school seems to offer a great package on the brochure and then kick you in the package once you get here. 

What do I do?

3 Sep 2009      

Zora
Canada

Ohh... THIS is a hard one. You are "low man on the Totem pole" here and I suspect that the owner already knows what is happening in her centre. You can talk to her, explain to her your concerns but don �t be surprised if nothing is done about the problem.

Many English centers are nothing but a business and they aren �t concerned with anything except money and profits at the end of the month.

I have worked at many like that, even had situations were I was politely told to "shut my mouth" about certain things. And sadly, I did because it was my first job but as I get older and I have my own center, I know that I should have said something back then.

Now I pride myself on the fact that my "humble little center" is geared towards "learning" and not profit... unfortunately though, many do see it the other way around. Confused 

3 Sep 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

I would suggest that you find yourself another job very quickly because this school will probably not be around for long.

Yes, of course, it is true that language schools are businesses but the students can and will vote with their feet.

I am a little disappointed to see you mention the teacher �s age. Quite frankly it is of no concern. She is a poor example of a teacher, full stop......and there are poor examples at all stages of life.

I, myself, am over 60 and feel I have a great rapport with my students. I think they see me as a substitute "mum" at times. They discuss so many things with me, love, life, parties, problems...oh! and English too. I would never treat a student in that matter, particularly not another teacher �s student.

Being new it is very difficult for you but I always feel it pays to "lie low" at first because if something is troubling you it is probably troubling someone else too. Perhaps given time they will address the issue for you.

However, I repeat....look for another job asap.
Cheers, Joy

3 Sep 2009     

ants
Switzerland

I agree with Joy...age doesn �t make any difference when it comes to teaching or having a rapport with students.
I also agree with her about finding another job because you �ll soon find yourself not enjoying your job.
That is fatal.
Think about other looking for other jobs and in the meantime, do your best, that �s all you can do once you �re in a situation like this one.
The very best of luck!!Hug
Cheers,
Fiona.

3 Sep 2009     

mjpa
Spain

NFT: I think you are going to have a bad time at that school if things are like that. I understand you, I really do, but business is business. Much more if the owner does not teach. She just wants money, no matter how.

I think you are not going to be able to face those conditions for longer, and you are right. So, maybe you should try to speak to her, make her understand you are not going to work on those conditions, and see what it happens. But then, be ready to face the consequences.

Or, much better: think about what you want. Would you accept continue working there if things similar happen every day? Would you be able to see things from the point of view of the employer? Maybe you can turn a blind eye to certain things (I know it�s hard). If not: think on other alternatives. Have you thought about accepting the student�s suggestion, teaching him privately and so on? You could start with him, but it�s very possible in a few days/weeks other students would want you to teach them privately as well.
I don�t know in your country, but in mine, sometimes, it�s much better. You earn more, and you work under your own conditions.
Good luck! I know it�s a difficult situation

3 Sep 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

Sorry I didn �t mean to offend with the age information - I was trying to highlight that this lady should KNOW A LOT BETTER - she has been teaching for a long time (maybe I should have said that) and that a more mature person should know how to properly deal with this sort of situation - though I do understand that maturity doesn �t necessarily preceded age.  I apologise - it was my mistake.

3 Sep 2009     

ameliarator
United States

I �ve been in a similar, if not nearly as extreme situation, and I agree with what others have said about you needing to decide if it is worth staying with this school. �In my situation, I stayed and I didn �t always show the administration how outraged I was at some of the things they did. �By speaking out you may feel that you are doing the most honorable thing, but you will probably also alienate yourself and make enemies at the school which will be nonconstructive for you, the school and the students, in the long run. �I suggest that you bide your time, pick your battles, see if others feel the same way you do and most of all do the little things you can, like be extra friendly and helpful with students and other staff. �I hope things get better for you!

3 Sep 2009     

ants
Switzerland

No harm done! about the age bit in your text!!Hug
Hugs,
Fiona.

3 Sep 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

A very tough situation...but if the school treats its clients like this, well...you should expect that they will treat teachers the same. Of course only you can decide what is better for you. It could be sensible to contact school director and talk to her but be ready to hear that she will not care. If you feel that working there makes you stressed and worried more than usual, think about the way out. Just remember that if you feel uncomfy you always have choice.

3 Sep 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

I used to go to a shrink �cause I was a bit stressed and it was affecting my stomach as well asmy head, anyways. He told me something I still remember:
YOU ARE A TEACHER, you care about your stds, you prepare classes for them, you make them feel proud of themselves (etc etc etc) now the school owner is A GROCERY STORE OWNER, one std one fee, two stds, two fees and so on. They dont give a crap (excuse my french) if the stds are happy or not.

I �d be ridiculous to think that every school owner is the same, but most of the ones I �ve worked for were. And, unluckily or not, it is our job to help stds do better, cause probably no one else but you cares.

Sad but true, uh? 

3 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi N.F.T.

Many of us have been there.  It is common and afterall at the end of the day they are a business that has to make ends meet.  I did a stint in a similar academy where the teacher next door shouted so loud while she was teaching that my stuents couldn �t hear me.  On my second day there she came in to my room to talk to the students about the state of the lunch area - well, she shouted so loud she almost gave me acoustic shock! I mentioned this ongoing day-after-day �shouting � to my recruiter at the academy who basically told me to get used to it.  Nevertheless, I didn �t get used to it or their methods of operation and I quickly found myself another position.

I think every country will have academies that are not so good - some will thrive and some will not irrespective of the qulaity of teaching.  What �s important is that you find a place that fits with your ethics and teaching style.  My recommendation is that you keep a low profile and seek out other opportunities.  If you rock the boat not only might you lose your souce of income with this job but you might earn a reputation not befitting you.  It is a small world with an enormous grapevine.

Cheers

Jayho

4 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >