Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Classroom management. Any recipe ? How to handle apathy and discipline?    

Classroom management. Any recipe ? How to handle apathy and discipline?

Mariethe House
France

Thank you Marion for the interesting link!

I do a very simple thing that Victoria ladybug suggested: I set the rules of course and  when one pupil breaks them, I make an oral remark.. If he does it a second time, I write his name on the board and he / she has to come and see me at the end of the lesson. then I ask him her if he can envisage another attitude and I do this in a very calm and positive way!  I make it clear it is up to him/ her if he gets punished or not which is what happens in the next lesson if they don �t behave!
As a result, I find that this moment of close relationship with me is important and I rarely have to punish them as, in the next lesson I just have to say : " careful! You �re on my list" 

You know teaching is an affective business! Kids want to know they count for you and they will do anything to attract your attention... And of course if they are failures they will attract you in a negative way! I adapt my "contact" to each individual who comes to "see" me! And it works! if it doesn �t the problem doesn �t belong to me anymore and I refer the pupil to a higher authority because I think he needs someone else �s attention! ( very often disruptive kids are boys who need   a father like figure to set limits!)

Hope it helps!!

9 Sep 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I am lucky as I have my own school and teach only English, and in groups of no more than 4.  I know when I was at school, there was no option, but to obey the rules.  It seems that today we post the rules, just so students know what they have to break.  The problem is, is that the "new wave of psychology" has tied the hands of the parents and teachers.  I don �t for one moment propose hitting kids, G-d forbid, but discipline is a must. 

I try always to use humor in my class.  Example.  "Should I write that down?"  I answer, "If you want to write it now, you can, or you can do it for homework."  My rule is:  I have a lesson plan, whatever we don �t accomplish in class is homework.  Don �t do the homework!  A letter to the parents and extra hw.  As these parents are paying me a healthy sum to teach the kids, they see that the kids do the homework.  I know that this is not the situation in public schools, but start strong and loosen the chains as the year flows is always a good way.

Good luck all you hardworking teachers.

http://www.commentgraphic.blogspot.com/2008/03/good-luck-graphics-comment.html

Judy

9 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

Check out this link:

9 Sep 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Hi and thanks for posting a very interesting topic.
There are no easy receipes for success when it comes to teaching kids/teens but I think you �ve got to be careful as they could be watching you and your attitude.
It �s amazing how much students can pick up on your lack of self-confidence or your body language which contrasts to what you �re saying.
I had a colleague who had so many problems with her groups of kids and yet when I replaced her a few times, I had the kids eager to learn, simply because of rules in place....and my enthusiasm and interaction with them.
I now teach privately, and like Judy, I don �t have big groups...nevertheless, I stay in charge but at the same time connected with the kids and teens who come to me.
I also give a lot of Intensive courses during the holidays and have kids/teens coming back to me during the summer as well as October holidays.
I don �t think any of us have any magic wands to wave but setting rules in place, strong body language and showing that you �re in charge and that you like your job will certainly help you, I hope!!
The very best of luck and transmit that energy in a positive way and things could look a lot brighter over the next few weeks!!Hug
Hugs,
Fiona.

9 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

To get back to my previous post about getting feedback from your students on your classes as means of motivation:

You can use this survey:

or create one of your own.
Mine is in Croatian, although I �m thinking now that I probably should make a new one in English. If /When I do it, I �ll upload it here.

9 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hmm... I was reading everyone �s comments and I think part of the problem is this: (from my own experience)...

Schools tend to have the bad habit of grouping the "tontos" (dumbies, underachievers) in one group and the good students in another. And the students know this! They are not stupid. And a lot of them think "Why even try?"

I have seen this happen countless times. I teach privately as I have my own center and I get students from different classes and school ... and you can see the attitude difference immediately. If the student knows that they are in the "class of underachievers", their attitude is "why try, I am just going to fail anyways."

I would suggest you try and find a way to motivate them, show them that "they are not stupid". Maybe a total revamping of your class is needed. Perhaps, you should bring in TV shows or films and work with that instead. Stay away as much as possible from boring grammar that they relate to as "something that shows how "dumb" they are compared to other students.

This is just a suggestion since I really don �t know if your group is a group of "underachievers". BUT it might a way to motivate them just the same.

9 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2