Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > about telling the time    

about telling the time

pauguzman
Argentina

about telling the time

Hi all! I have a question regarding telling the time since I �ve found two different forms in books and in your ws. I was taught " it �s quarter to ten" or " it �s quarter past ten", but I �ve found recently " it �s A quarter to ten" or "it �s A quarter past ten". Are there two correct forms of telling the time? How do you, native speakers, tell the time?
thanks in advance, PAULA

9 Sep 2009      

carucha
Argentina

i �m not a native speaker but as far as I know, the correct form is "a quarter to or a quarter past" kisses!

9 Sep 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Hi Paula,

I have never seen "it �s A quarter to ten." I might be wrong, but I would have considered �A quarter � incorrect. I was taught �It �s quarter to ten � not A before. But who knows, all things are possible... just to confuse us.. Big smile

9 Sep 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

Normally, most people would say that it is 9:45. We usually use "quarter" when just referring to 15 minutes after the hour. When it is 9:30, we would say that it �s thirty minutes after nine.

However, in coversation it �s o.k. to say, " a quarter to ten or it �s quarter to ten." 

I hope this helps.

Carla

9 Sep 2009     

arkel
Ireland

Good morning everyone:) I �ve always said a quarter to and a quarter past, and that �s what I hear also. What Carla said is more common in USA. We would nearly always say half past nine for 9:30. HugRosemary

9 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

I use both forms, but mostly say "a quarter to..." .  I tell my students that both are acceptable.

9 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

I have to agree with Douglas, Arkel and Carla. Both forms are acceptable. Though, I also say "it �s A quarter ... " when I am not using the "digital" form which is much more common... Wink

9 Sep 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

Poor students. No wonder our poor students are confused when even native speakers say things differently.

I �m interested in Carla �s comment about 9:30. I would never use thirty minutes after nine. It would be It �s half past nine or It �s nine thirty.

I think �a quarter to" and "a quarter past" are more common in countries which speak  more British English.

We would use both " a quarter to � and "quarter to". The expressions nine fifteen and nine forty-five are probably more common now thanks to the digital clock.

Cheers from Joy downunder
      Oh Dear!!!!!!

9 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

Ahh, I misread Carla �s post and us Canadians NEVER say "thirty minutes after"... We say, "nine thirty, half past nine.." same as the UK and other Commonwealth countries.  In fact. I �ve never, ever heard such a thing before now.

9 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Yep, like bill2joy said we downunder use use both " a quarter to � and "quarter to" and we would never use thirty minutes after nine. It would be It �s half past nine or It �s nine thirty.

9 Sep 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Dear Jayho,

I was trying to point out that many Americans don �t use "a quarter" after the first 15 minutes. Of course, we say nine thirty.

Carla

9 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >