Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Second Language    

Second Language

dayssb
Brazil

Second Language

Dear friends!

What second language is taught in your school? Here in Brazil we speak Portuguese and teach English (this is an option because we could teach any other modern foreign langague if we wanted/ could). In 2011 or 2012, middle school`s will have to teach also Spanish. My students keep asking me if in the US, Canada, Italy, Argentina, and many other countries, students learn Portuguese. It makes me laugh but I actually don`t know which languages are taught. Can you tell me which language is being taught in your country as a second language in your regular schools?
Thank you so much.

11 Sep 2009      

riann
Malta

I live in Malta and we speak Maltese. As a second language we teach English at primary level. At secondary level students learn another 2 languages usually: French, Italian or German and sometimes Spanish:)

11 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

Hebrew is the language here and kids are taught English and Arabic.

11 Sep 2009     

merapi
Hungary

In Hungary we speak Hungarian but students have to learn at least one foreign language. The most popular one is English but a lot of them choose German , French or Spanish as wellStar

11 Sep 2009     

Choli
Argentina

I chose Portuguese as a third language during the last two years of (public) secondary school. English is compulsory from 4th grade on but this year the government implemented a plan of studies that includes English for 1st graders.
There are some special multilingual public schools where Portuguese is taught as the first foreign language as from grade 1.

Hugs
Choli

11 Sep 2009     

suzanne95212
United States

I teach at a high school in California, USA.  The students speak English and are required to take 3 years of a foreign language.  Every school has different options, at our school they can choose from Spanish, French, and German.  Many eleementary schools and junior high schools offer elementary Spanish courses.

11 Sep 2009     

cgato
Portugal

Hi!

Here in Portugal English is taught as second language. Most students (and their parents) worry about learning english
Then , as 2nd foreign language) students choose French or Spanish. Some years ago it was only French which was chosen but recently many students choose Spanish.  After all we are neighbours, and there is a lot of comercial activity between our countries! Nuestros hermanos as we sometimes call Spanish people ( so many wars in the past but bygones are bygones Wink)

BigHug

11 Sep 2009