Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Second Language    

Second Language

dayssb
Brazil

Second Language

Dear friends!

What second language is taught in your school? Here in Brazil we speak Portuguese and teach English (this is an option because we could teach any other modern foreign langague if we wanted/ could). In 2011 or 2012, middle school`s will have to teach also Spanish. My students keep asking me if in the US, Canada, Italy, Argentina, and many other countries, students learn Portuguese. It makes me laugh but I actually don`t know which languages are taught. Can you tell me which language is being taught in your country as a second language in your regular schools?
Thank you so much.

11 Sep 2009      

Ahlam
Bahrain

Salam

All subjects are taught in Arabic. Students have to study Classical Arabic courses too. Students also study compulsory English courses for different purposes as well as the major language development courses. French is an optional subject, sm sts can take it a their speciality. No other languages are taught.

Take care
Ahlam

11 Sep 2009     

mariagema
Spain

Here in Spain students are taught English at school as a second language and they also learn French in secondary stages but this third language is normally an option they can choose among others. It is not compulsory.

11 Sep 2009     

johnbrasil
Brazil

When I lived in the UK 9 years ago they taught French and German in the public schools. Before I came to Brazil I tried to find someone to give me Portuguese classes at the local polytechnic and couldn �t find anyone in their languages department and suggested I either take classes in Spanish or try finding a Brazilian to study with.

11 Sep 2009     

readingaol
Portugal

Well, in Portugal children start learning English in elementary school. When they reach the 7th grade they can choose between french or spanish. Usually German is only available when they reach the 10th grade (only the 9th grade is mandatory).

11 Sep 2009     

mariannina
Italy

In Italy English is taught from the Infant school, but it isn �t compulsory. It is compulsory from the primary school and in junior school they start another foreign language, Spanish, French or German, it  depends on the  "human resources" a school has.
Ciao

11 Sep 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi ,
I grew up in Holland (looooong ago). There in High school I studied Dutch obviously and English, French and German. ( I opted out - later to my regret - of  Latin and classic Greek).
Nowadays they start English in primary schools already.
In the school I work in here in Israel kids study all subjects in Hebrew. (which I learned at a special language course for new immigrants) They start English in 3rd grade and Arabic in 5th. In the middle and high school Arabic and French are offered as a subject of choice (i.e. not compulsory).

11 Sep 2009     

natsalvador
Ecuador

Hello teachers ... Well here in Ecuador when I was in school they tought french and english. we had 3 hours of spanish during the week. Here in the school where I teach the kids have 2 hours of english and also french and our native language espa�ol:)

11 Sep 2009     

gabitza
Romania

In Romania, English is usually the first language whereas French or German are taught as second foreign languages. There are certain schools (a few) where Italian or Spanish are being taught. I guess that �s it.
Hugs,
Gabitza

11 Sep 2009     

asiczek123k
Poland

In Poland there are two languages that children are being tought in primary schools (except for Polish of course)- it �s English & German. Sometimes, German is replaced by French.

Later on, a teenager can choose the 2nd foreign lg he/she is going to learn (English+other foreign lg); most often it �s either Spanish, Italian or Russian.

Latin is also obligatory when sb is a university student (BA, MA); so he/she has to learn 3 lgs simultaneously (English+Latin+other foreign lg).

11 Sep 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

Aaah, important to note that a kid in our school not only learns three languages, s/he also has to learn three totally different alphabets!! In first grade they learn to read and write hebrew, in third they need to learn the �normal � alphabet in order to start learning English and in fifth grade they start learning the Arabic alphabet. I learned different languages while in school in Europe but at least it was all the same alphabet! Sometimes I sit with my own kids while they read English and it suddenly hits me that it is a double feat! They had to master the alphabet only to years after learning the alaph-bet and yet their reading is impressive! Kids´ brains are amazing!

11 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >