Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help on the duration form    

Help on the duration form

genzianella
Italy

Help on the duration form

Hi fellow teachers!
One grammar question for you. I was doing an exercise where you had to rephrase sentences and I stumbled upon this one:

She took up knitting 5 years ago (been)

Is the answer, by any chance  "She has been knitting for 5 years "?

you know what, using the duration form in this sentence gives me the idea that she has been knitting for 5 years and she has done nothing else , that all she has been doing in 5 years is knitting , that she started knitting 5 years ago and she hasn �t stopped ever since :)

Am I wrong? Please help!

13 Sep 2009      

medeainside
Spain

Hi genzianella!! That would be the correct grammar transformation. However, it sounds awkward!! ;D    Thumbs Up

13 Sep 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I �d say you �re right. Gramatically it is correct, yet the sound is a bit continuous. Well you could always add �as a hobby � to the second sentence if it is important in the context.

13 Sep 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi genzeniala,

Because the present perfect continuous is used to specify when an action began as in I �ve been driving for thirty years which is obviously not continuous, as well as duration up to the present, your answer is correct.

13 Sep 2009     

genzianella
Italy

well, then, ballycastle1 has clarifyed all my doubts! thanks a million to you all!

p.s. thanks also for confirming me that it DID sound a bit dodgy!

13 Sep 2009