Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help! Calling all teachers    

Help! Calling all teachers

scampi
Spain

Help! Calling all teachers

Ok, I have a 24yr old private student who is going to study abroad in another country where her university course will be in English.  I have been teaching her for over a month everyday and although her grammar and vocab are wide and fairly accurate, I cannot get her to talk!  I have tried everything, conversation games, conversation cards, role plays, I even ask her a list of questions that are the same every lesson and she still won �t speak.  She wants to but she says that her mind just goes blank and she can �t.  Her answers are mainly yes/no or I don �t know.  I really want to help this girl as in 6 yrs of teaching I have always eventually got students to speak apart from this one.  If anyone has had a similar case, or thinks they can help - please let me know, I am desperate!

Thanks

16 Sep 2009      

memthefirst
Turkey

Just let her go!!! She �ll have to use the language,she �ll have to speak. She might be shy,anxious.She ll probably gain self confidence after she starts speaking.See her on holidays and you ll be surprised...

16 Sep 2009     

exiliser
Turkey

what a coincidence!! Today I met a new student, and she wants to pass the language proficiency exam to go to England. She has to speak to be successful, but she doesn �t trust herself. She thinks she can �t talk in English!
I �m planning to making her listen to audios/videos in English (with subtitles for videos), because I believe that would be a help to encourage her to talk. And some exercises and activities would be better to provide. But I am not quite sure, I dont have the audios/videos yet, and it will take time to find. I hope we both can get help from the teachers in this great site..

16 Sep 2009     

ksalomao
Brazil

Hi everyone,

Cases like the ones you are reporting are pretty common. Unfortunately, there �s so much a teacher can do.

Students should be aware of their role and responsibilities as language learners, specially in this case, where the student is about to go abroad. So, I believe the best you can do is to explain the student that he or she must take risks and try. 

But, if there is still resistance, I don �t know what you can do. Maybe they �ll learn the hard way when they go abroad.

I guess you have been doing your part.

Best regards

Karina

16 Sep 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Drilling drilling drilling NOT through senseless worksheets where she has to fill in the blanks with the missing verb forms or prepositions or else BUT through repetition repetition repetition of what she has/wants to say.

Keep in mind the way a mother tongue is learnt - listening-speaking-reading-writing. You cannot make her speak by asking her to do worksheets because the worksheets make her think about two options (usually). Making up sentences on her own takes a lot more - that �s why she gets the �blockage �.

I would provide her with example dialogues that you two would read together out loud over and over again until she becomes pretty fluent and readsallthewordsandsentencesasiftheywereonlyoneword. She has to get used to the melody and intonation of the language. You must exaggerate because the (British) English language is pretty chirpy and the speakers usually sound excited, so ask her to do it, too. Most of my students are embarrassed of themselves and manage to utter only the first few words (with a rising and falling intonation) when they would burst out laughing. But i keep at them and don �t let them go back to the �robotic � way of reading/speaking.

What i do with Angela (a student of mine who knows all the rules for tenses and other grammar parts by heart, but cannot/couldn �t make a single sentence) is ask her simple Qs to which she would answer. If she makes pauses between words, i ask her to repeat the answer all over again till it sounds likeoneword. I ask the Qn again, and she repeats fluently. I move on to another Qn. When she has mastered the answer, i start all over again from Q1 to the last Qn i asked. To that you MUST ADD the proper INTONATION AND appropriate WORD STRESS.

You might want to check these two threads and make use of them:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=11190
(The picture association story can provide LOTS of repetition. What i did the last time was put the cards in a circle and roll a die. When she landed on the Flash Card, she had to begin a story. Then i rolled, landed on another picture, repeated what she had said and continued the story. Through this activity, you get a lot of repetition and practice, a bit of fun, you stir her imagination and creativity, a lot of paraphrasing or adding more details to the story, making the sentences longer .. what more could you ask for?? Smile Of course, after the story has been created, you assign your student to write it down.)

And here �s one more thread:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=6148

P.S. Could you, please, change the title of your post to include the word "speaking" because it will be easy for me/us to find it later and to direct other members to it when they need similar help. I already gave this answer to someone in the past, but i cannot find the thread, obviously because of the inappropriate title. Thanks. Thumbs Up

P.P.S. This is what i meant by exaggerating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ_eMqV7Y7k
It wasn�t a meaningless application of a rule (played - didn�t play), but a meaningful "conversation" where i was ignorant of the Indians� way of life and they were the smart ones who corrected me.

16 Sep 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

If I were you, I would have the girl bring in a special item from home and then tell how she got it.  You can ask her why it is special to her. Once she starts speaking, be sure to praise her often.  This will give her self-confidence and make her feel more like talking in English.  I hope this helps. GL

16 Sep 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

I agree with Ivona - it �s drilling drilling drilling, repetition repetition repetition - like a parrot, I really mean it!
1) This site might be very helpful - www.onlineEnglish.en101.com. And although it is not free, it �s really worth it. Besides, there are also lots of free lessons, to get acquainted with the site. Teachers can use the site at the beginning of their classes as a warming up exercise; as individual tasks for problematic areas; as homework for individual students (first create a supplementary password!).
2) I also give my students short anecdotes (there are lots of different booklets available, like e.g. L.A.Hill. "Introductory Stories for Reproduction", etc.) as homework - they read and prepare the story for reproduction (it means they have to tell it to themselves several times at home!); then in class they tell it to me or to other students (if there are any) and after that ask questions which are given after the anecdote (by heart!).

16 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

I like the method Ivona suggests.  I was just going to say get some dialogues and have her repeat them out-loud over and over.
You could also possibly find a script for a short play and repeatedly read it with her, but change roles back and forth.  If you "ham-up" your text some she may be inclined to do the same when she plays the role in the next reading.

16 Sep 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

My sister in law is pretty much the same. She is originally from the former Sovjet Union. She has a fairly rich vocabulary in English but rarely opens her mouth UNLESS...some English speaker joins the dinner table with opinions opposing her own on a topic she feels very strongly about. She will sit there getting all worked up for a few minutes at the most and then , despite herself, she �ll join the conversation to tell the person just how she feels about the issue. (believe me, once she is annoyed, SHE TALKS!)

So my idea would be as follows: Find out which topic might tick off your student and see if you can invite a third party to provoke a discussion!

On the other hand I tend to agree with memthefirst. Once in an English speaking country she will have no choice and she will take the hurdle. Sitting opposite her teacher can also make her very self conscious. (like me not being willing to sing or even give a rythm when my husband - a professional musician - is around, but singing my lungs out in front of a full class!)

16 Sep 2009     

epit
Turkey

Ifyou have another private student you can invite him or her and join their lessons .So the girl who you talked about will feel competing or she can bring a friend of her own.That is better.Secondly,want her to summarize her favourite book or film for you in English .That is very easy too.Grammar must not be aim.She can make mistakeShe can even make simple sentences.This mustn �t be a problem.she must see this site.So you can give her ideas.Majority ofus are not native speakers ,but we have to speak.This is our work.If someone has to use a foreign language ,she will have to speak and communicate with the others.Maybe I made a lot of mistakes and I will receive a lot of messages from my colleges It doesn �t matter. In my opinion she mustn �t be  timid. Bye....

16 Sep 2009     

scampi
Spain

Thanks everyone for all those reponses - I will definitely try some.  I had another lesson tonight and when I asked a question like "Where do you do at the weekend?" she still said I don �t know.  So I told her to tell me in Spanish which obviously she has to say something.  We then together wrote the translation and I have made her take it home to study so when she comes in tomorrow she knows what to say.  I usually don �t like translating in this way but I thought I would try it.  At the moment it appears she was more relaxed in class in her own language, but we will find out if it has helped any!!!

Thanks again everyone!

16 Sep 2009