Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > WARNING YouTube in ONLINE Exercises.    

WARNING YouTube in ONLINE Exercises.

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, dear colleagues.
CryCryCryCryCryCry

This message is for those who spend a lot of time designing ONLINE exercises and lessons.

AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

I am sorry to inform you that there is a problem with the exercises based on songs and Video Clips from YouTube.
It seems that these song and videos don�t last for long on YouTube. Many of the exercises I checked report that the file is no longer available on YouTube especially in the somehow old exercises.
So, we need to find a solution. These kind of exercises are so interesting for they are interactive then more attracting for Ss.

Hope also that Victor could suggest some useful ideas.

2 Nov 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Goodnesses,
If i like an activity i use youtubedownloader to download the clip immediatly. this means i can use it whenever, wherever i need to use it!

Makes sense.  it is a free downloader that means i don�t have to rely on internet connections to teach my classes.

Regards
Vicki

2 Nov 2008     

crisholm
Spain

It happened to me - not with online exercises but with my blog. Sometimes you get the message that the video is no longer available. Well, perhaps not that one, but another one which is in fact the same. You should check the links every now and then to be sure they work, that�s all.

2 Nov 2008     

jujuka
Hungary

Hi Bouabdellah,
Unfortunately you are right: some of the attached Youtube clips have vanished into thin air. Unhappy
If you are lucky, you can replace  them with new ones (eg I had to do it with my Timbaland exercise), but you may be unlucky and you cannot find a substitute (eg an old exercise of mine about Brainiacs).

Saving the video clips on your computer seems to be a good solution but then  I suppose you would need a special language lab to use the exercises online and the whole "magic" of getting SS work online would  be gone.

I absolutely agree with your suggestion of finding a way out of this. I think attaching video/mp3 flies would be a good solution but I am afraid it would arise a lot of technical problems since such files are too heavy. Let�s hope Victor can come up with a good idea.
Keep fingers crossed.
Judit

2 Nov 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , Judit

Hungary
Nice to hear from you again. Hope you�re doing well.
I don�t think I can add something to what you said.

I just hope that Vickiii_who is proud to be KIWI Chile would read your post especially "Saving the video clips on your computer seems to be a good solution but then I suppose you would need a special language lab to use the exercises online and the whole "magic" of getting SS work online would  be gone."

Regards Everybody

2 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Well - it works for me because i tend to use videos for discussion and do not have access to computers for all of my students to do online exercises.  I find that both teenagers and adults don�t do homework anyway no matter how fun, creative, and useful it is. 

2 Nov 2008     

eoiamalia
Spain

As some of you have said, we can always download the video to our computer. Thus, we can even carry it to class on our pendrive, a cd, dvd etc and you don�t have to rely on Internet in the classroom. I�m currently using a free, very intuitive program called "atube downloader". I got it from:

I hope you find this message helpful

30 Nov 2008