Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What is a community?    

What is a community?

Portugal

What is a community?

What is a community?

There are several key features which are common to any kind of community.

A community is a  group of people who take an interdependent relationship, articulated or justified by the existence of shared objectives and tasks, which involve practices and, of course, artifacts; all these components contribute to the history, culture and  identity of a community. This sense of identity is highlighted in the definition of McMillan & Chavis (1986, p. 9):

A sense of belonging, a feeling that members matter to one another and to the group, a belief that shared needs will be met through mutual commitment.

Edit: Communities of practice are being  thoroughly studied nowadays, because, they meet the needs of all kinds of professionals in the 21st century.

25 Sep 2009      

Allisa
Bulgaria

Thank you for your post reminding all of us what �s the meaning of community.  Clap
We need more positive threads here and less meaningless fights.

25 Sep 2009     

maufon
Costa Rica

Allissa and nikadixon, you are right.

I am quiet new in this community as I have been here for a few months. I have to say that i am happy to be part of it even i have been criticized, and once, some of the members started a controversial argument making fun of me and my mistake, by a simple typo (which happens to me sooo frequiently even in my native language Embarrassed).

I must confess that at first i felt a little upset because we all make mistakes, but, then i considered  that we all are different and we have to respect each others, i accept my self the way i am and try to do my best,  try to accept others as they can be.

I do respect people here that gave me a hand when i  asked for help, and some of them helped me a lot even they didn�t know. On the other hand,   we should try not to lose the main objective of this site.  We are here to support each other because, at the end....we are all the same, no body is more than the other.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!
Hugs from Costa Rica.

�I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it� (paraphrasing Voltaire)

�We are of course a nation of differences. Those differences don�t make us weak. They�re the source of our strength.�

Jimmy Carter

25 Sep 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

Maufon - thanks for the Voltaire!! It was just yesterday that I was trying like mad to remember who said it (and I had a notion it was a French philosopher Big smile ) but I couldn �t remember who exactly it was and what exactly he said so I couldn �t even Google it... And here it comes on the message board from you as if I had ordered it on the menu! Thanks a lot! Clap

26 Sep 2009