Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > use of Present Continuous with 5 senses verbs    

use of Present Continuous with 5 senses verbs

moravc
Czech Republic

Sorry goodnesses, those sentences sound really strange... I suppose you can use SOME static verbs in present continuous, but the meaning changes...
and I am pretty sure you CANNOT use ALL static verbs in present continuous...
appearing and smelling are the examples you cannot use...
we say: It smells good. (not it �s smelling good)
The other examples of present continuous are OK :-))

you may hear some gerunds, but it �s not correct, it means the speaker is trying to emphasise the sentence (it is happening now or in the very near future...)
I have heard this sentence: "Now he is tasting his own medicine. "
(it means - now he can experience all the bad things he did to others, the God pays back for his bad behaviour, so now he suffers the same way as his enemies had suffered because of him before...)

But, I would never ever mention this sentence to my pre-intermediate students :-D

28 Sep 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

May I just add that if you were in the garden, bent over, and someone asked what you were doing, you would in all likelihood  say, �I �m smelling the flowers. �

28 Sep 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Sorry I did not say that all static(=state) verbs can be used in PC. Some can be either static or action vebs as the verb "appear" static = how SO or Sth looks, Action = show up, come to be apparent.

As for the verb "look", can we say "He is looking tired."?

28 Sep 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello,
some state verbs can be used in Pr. Continuous only when we use them along with the �doer � of the action, for example: He is smelling th flowers (now, at the moment), I am tasting the soup, and I think it tastes great (of course the soup can �t be in the process of tasting itself).
Also I met this - I feel ok, I am feeling ok - and it was said that both variants are interchangeable -  depends on what you want to convey - the process or state (fact). As for the verb �look �, imho, I �d use �he looks  tired � as a fact, state, not as a process.

28 Sep 2009     

jessicae
Spain

Hi ,
And what about  this McDonalds commercial on tv which says: " i�m lovin it". You can watch it here ( second 27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNZzs6AXuL4
I�ve always wondered why they wrote "i" instead of "I" and why they used Present Continous instead of the Simple Present Tense. Last year, when I was explaining the topic of Present Tenses a student of mine raised this question in class, and to tell you the truth, I could not give an appropriate answer.
What do you think?
Jessica

28 Sep 2009     

guaguis5
Peru

HELLO:
WELL YOU CAN�T USE SMELL NEITHER TASTE IN  THE PRESENT CONTINOUS FORM, TO GIVE THAT MEANING YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE VERB E.G:

I AM HEARING A STRANGE NOISE  X
I AM LISTENING A STRANGE NOISE OK

ALSO WITH SEE:
I AM SEEING A BIRD COMING HERE X
I AM WATCHING/OBSERVING A BIRD COMING HERE

3 Oct 2009     

mmbermejo
Spain

I hope it is useful http://enjoyscience.wikispaces.com/5senses

28 Oct 2011     

< Previous   1    2