Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > How to keep control of the class when engaged with smth else than teaching    

How to keep control of the class when engaged with smth else than teaching

Lucia13
Armenia

How to keep control of the class when engaged with smth else than teaching

Hi dear teachers,
Hope you �ll be able to help me on a certain topic.The thing is I �ve worked a lot on my organization and lesson plans to keep my students attention all the time and change activities fequently so that not to let them bored and at the same time keep control of the class.
But what if someone enters my class and has a talk with me or I am engaged with some distribution of school stuff?How can I keep control of my students so that  they can sit quietly?Im really concerned about this issue.Hope that experienced teachers can help me and share with their ideas?

2 Oct 2009      

MarionG
Netherlands

earlier this morning I recommended downloading the free ebook on class management "magic classroom management". (from www.Behaviourneeds.com )I like it a lot and it deals with this issue as well. I haven �t read all of it yet but is seems really good and it �s for free so why not?
About containing the class when you need to hand out stuff etc. First of all; Why does someone come to talk to you when you are teaching?  I don �t think that is appropriate at all. I think you can tell the person coming in during a class that you are not free to talk right now and that you will meet in the next break. that also sends the message to the students that they are more important. About handing out materials.. I usually hand out homework either at the total beginning of the class while they are still settling in their places and taking out materials themselves or while they are working on an exercise so the class is quiet. I try to staple together different pages from the same student so as to limit the time it takes. If I need to hand out other papers - wonderful worksheets from this site for example - I usually ask a student to help me pass them around. They really like helping and it leaves me free to explain what they need to do and stay "on top of the class"

2 Oct 2009