Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A quarter past, or quarter past???    

A quarter past, or quarter past???

Isabelucha
Portugal

A quarter past, or quarter past???

Please help me here! :-)
Which is more correct:
It �s quarter past eleven OR It �s A quarter past eleven?
Or... are both correct?
I keep telling my students: It �s A quarter to... but I saw my Student �s book and there was an exercise in which the example said: It �s quarter to...Wacko

2 Oct 2009      

peiolei
Spain

I think both are correct.

Paola

2 Oct 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi Isabelucha,

Both must be correct. Longman online Dictionary writes "(a) quarter to two/three etc". The parentheses (brackets) mean that "a" can be omitted.

Hugs Hug
serene

2 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I always say It �s a quarter past.

2 Oct 2009     

kaz76
United Kingdom

Both ways are correct although I always say �it �s quarter past � and have never really heard anyone use it with �a � before.  It probably just depends where you live but both are equally as good. 

2 Oct 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I �ve always said It �s a quarter to/past (the a is really quick... "It �sa" almost!) Both are fine.

2 Oct 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Yes, both are equally correct and accepted. It depends on what you are used to saying!

2 Oct 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

Somehow it sounds more up-to-date without "a" to me, I don �t know why, maybe because most text-books omit it now.

3 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Isabelucha

Both forms are perfectly acceptable.  If you search for �time � in previous posts you �ll find many discussions on this.

Cheers

Jayho

3 Oct 2009