Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > are u in an educational system where giving students a failing grade is a no-no?    

are u in an educational system where giving students a failing grade is a no-no?

maiagarri
Thailand

are u in an educational system where giving students a failing grade is a no-no?

well, i am. it �s called �continuous progression �. we have just finished the 1st semester and it is this time of the year  that there �s always this talk of giving the students a grade of at least 2.5 (4 being the highest). 
what �s the point of recording and checking every activity when the grades don �t reflect the real learning of the students? how can i let a student pass if he never sends his homework, fails all my chapter tests, talks back to me, sits in his chair (if he can sit still for more than 5 minutes)? what am i teaching him? irresponsibility and unfairness. 
my co-teacher/husband said, "let the kids suffer the consequences of going through formal education without learning anything but receiving undeserved grades. let the world suffer with professionals who got their degree just because we teachers showed mercy the wrong way."
argh.....Angry

6 Oct 2009      

eng789
Israel

In our school,  the passing mark/grade  is 55  and we aren �t allowed
to give a pupil less than 40 on his report card.

What bothers me is that there are some kids that work really hard to get to the 40,  and they get the same mark as kids that don �t do anything at all.

So our system isn �t exactly fair either.

6 Oct 2009     

freedom4life
Canada

Welcome to the educational-system-is-failing crisis. So, administration believes that it  is best to just stroll them along, irregardless of grades. In a competitive-economic system that is part of modern society, it is a dangerous process. Students won �t feel the need to make efforts in their subjects, as long as they are pampered and their hands held. It is a HUGE problem in Korea and the gap is widening with grades. If it wasn �t an economically-competitive-based-system, then sure, I am all for it.

It seems that the adult world has given-up disciplining the kids and leaving them be. This limp-wristed-liberal approach is another ingredient for disaster. Since the introduction of smut t.v., computer-gaming, junk-food and the no-holds-bar internet browsing-what can one expect? We all know which country is mainly responsible for that. Continue to do nothing about it...the results will be just that...nothing.

Oh yes, I am in an education system that does just that. What a shame to see. A terrible shame.

6 Oct 2009     

scampi
Spain

I am lucky in that I have my own private academy so I can withhold students.  I have placed an 11 yr old with students of 8.  Last week he actually said thank you to me as he feels more secure in that class.  He is no longer at the bottom so he feels that he can say somethinhg without other children laughing at him, he has more confidence and is actually beginning to create a firm basis to improve his english.  Maybe even at Christmas, I can move him up again.  Unfortunately, some parents don �t understand this and they think you are criticising them and their children if you want to make them repeat.  Schools have to realise that they are there for the benefit and well being of the child, not the parent.  A lot parents I know want their children to succeed in everything and in the majority of cases it just isn �t possible.  What is wrong with society where everyone has to be perfect?  Why can �t you be able to say this child has failed and so has to repeat, they need further help.

Well, I suppose all we can do is our best in the situation we are given!

6 Oct 2009     

naryana
Saudi Arabia

I have the same problem ..as a teacher Iam not allowed to let anyone faill in my subject ...even if the st is clumsy and careless and doesn �t show any interest in studying ...so all ss succeed in our  educational system ....most teachers including me are against such rules but we feel that our hands are tied and rules must be obyed ... wether we like it or not .. it is either their way or the high way !!!!!!!!!! most of our graduated ss are ill-mannerd and lack discipline and definitely are not well-educated as a result of such ridiculose system ...last year i was foeced to help a 10grade student succceed despite the fact that she doesn �t know how to write English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... so i expect the coming generation to be utterly stupid and with no manners whatsoever as a result of this new stupid rules ...

6 Oct 2009     

wolfy
Chile

Ahh, the stumbled across the reason I no longer work in a school.  Good luck.  Sorry, I can �t give you any advice as I left the system, not really good advice I know, sorry, maybe someone with more experience than me can help you.  I now teach adults only, and although there are other problems there �s nothing that comes close to the frustration I felt before.

6 Oct 2009