Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A sentence problem    

A sentence problem

ivush
Czech Republic

A sentence problem

Hi guys.

Could you help me with this, please?

A sentence? We would like to broaden the experience of each child by widening their horizons. Is there any problem with that?

Thank you
xxx

6 Oct 2009      

eng789
Israel

We usually use the phrase  "broaden someone�s horizons"

Try this,  I think it sounds a bit better.

We would like to broaden the horizons of each child by exposing him to new and different experiences.

6 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

In Australia we use both widen and broaden however I personally use broaden.  I like eng789 �s suggestion.

6 Oct 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I see no trouble with it since you are talking about two separate nouns: experience and horizons. You can broaden their experiences by giving them wider (diverse) horizons.  Widening is broadening therefore, they are synonyms.  It may not be commonly spoken but it is not incorrect as far as I can see. 

6 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Dear Ivush, I guess I see a problem here: the correspondence of child and the determiner their. The problem will obviously depend on the level of language we are using. No big deal in oral, non-formal language, bigger deal in a more formal context.

Let �s look at an example of Unicef �s Convention on the Rights of the Child:

�� a child shall not be separated from his or her parents against their will � [and shall be permitted to cross national borders] for � family reunification �.�

My best regards to all.
Idalina Jorge (nikadixon)

6 Oct 2009     

wolfy
Chile

I don �t see anything wrong with the sentence.  I often use "Their" when I don �t know if it �s he or she.

The alternative is to use He or she:

We would like to broaden the experience of each child by widening his or her horizons.

6 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Yes, wolfy, much better. I see no other problem here, either.
My best regards.
Idalina Jorge (nikadixon)

6 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hello again

Downunder �their� is becoming more acceptable in formal writing in lieu of his/her and when the gender is unknown.

Generally those who were taught traditional grammar in school say �their� is not acceptable (edit: when gender is known) and those who were not taught grammar will say  �their� is acceptable (edit: when gender is known).  When in doubt one can always rephrase the sentence to avoid this grammatical dilemma.  For example:

We aim to widen/broaden each child�s horizon through a range of enjoyable and enriching experiences.

Cheers

Jayho

6 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Actually Jayho... I was taught Grammar in school and it was recommended as Wolfy stated - When you don �t know "what gender" then you should use "they or their" as it can be used as an impersonal pronoun.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/they-singular.html

6 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

The use of �they � or �their � has certainly become prevalent, & generallyspeaking preferable in countries like Australia, in order to neutralise possible gender bias since at least the 1980 �s. It �s a definite case of late 20th century political correctness influencing the way that English grammar works - not that English grammar has ever been a fixed set of rules (in effective practice) at any time!

Cheers,
AB

6 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Zora - yes I agree. What I meant was �their � is acceptable when gender is unknown but when it is known then some say �their � is not acceptable and others say it is.  I shall add an edit to clarify this.

Cheers - Jayho

6 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >