Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teaching abroad    

Teaching abroad

missveronica
Argentina

Teaching abroad

Hello everyone!!!
I have been discussing this issue for some time with hubby and weboth think it is a good idea, so I �d like your opinion

Argentina is a very difficult country to work as a teacher and make enough money to, for example buy your own home. Even though both of us work it �s getting quite hard to finish building our house, in fact we have hardly started.

So, I �ve decided to look for a job abroad for 6 months or a year in order to collect some money to be able to pay off our debts and try and build our place...Cause, you know I �m not getting any younger and I kinda want to have children some day ;)

I have found some ads on line, but I dont know if I should trust them...

So, I was wondering if any of you are needing any teachers. I have a passport, no criminal record whatsoever and EFL level and I �m really eager to work.

Believe me, I have come to think this could be my only chance of ever being sble to move ahead in life.

Well, I �ll be waiting for you answers...hopefully many

Thx for your cooperation

7 Oct 2009      

Mahalo
United States

Veronica-
I know that getting a teaching job is very difficult-probably everywhere. And the pay is not very good. Do you have programs that tutor children? In the states they are called KUMON, or SULLIVAN LEARNING CENTER. Research these, and maybe you could open one for yourself that is similiar-offer to tutor several children. Tutors get paid around $35.00 an hour. This could help a little!

Good luck...At the school districts around my house, they put "hiring freezes" and regulations- "Only hire fresh teachers with less than 2-3 years experience. So when I worked, then had my daughter, I cannot find a day teaching job now, because I am "too old, too experienced, and have three years on the pay tier...."

7 Oct 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

What is really frustrating is that I do work, a lot and so does hubby.
But its never enough! Stern Smile
I �ll find out about KUMON, never heard of the other before
THX for your advice

7 Oct 2009     

laumer
Costa Rica

hello!

I have heard very good comments from my teachers about a program in the USA called VIF. Actually I have thought about signing me up  in the program in the future

Here you have the link: www.vifprogram.com/

good luck

7 Oct 2009     

deadbeat
United Kingdom

If you work in Japan, you can get anywhere from 200,000 to 400,000 yen a month, depending on experience.  Of course, Japan is an expensive place to live, and flights would be expensive too, but if you live frugally...

7 Oct 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

Check your PM Miss Ver�nica! Wink
Cyn

7 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Working in Japan can be worthwhile,but you need to be aware of a few things first...

Most people I know here would recommend you have at least 300,000 yen available from the time you arrive. To rent an apartment you need bond money & key money (unless your employer has other arrangements available). You may get your bond money back (maybe not) but you certainly won �t get your key money back! You can get cheap furnishings or a semi furnished apartment easily. It is common for you to receive your wages/salary up to 3 or 4 weeks after the month that you worked (it depends a lot on who your employer is). This means it may be almost 2 months before you have any wages in your account - so be prepared.

Don �t expect tobe working as a teacher inthe school system here unless you are working for an international school. It doesn �t matter what qualifications you have fromyour home country, if you want to work as a teacher in a government accredited school you need to have recognised Japanese teaching certification. This is difficult to achieve without having very good Japanese written & speaking skills which takes several years (as a minimum) to acquire.

You can easily work in conversation schools, sometimes cram schools, or take on private students too. Wages for teaching work have generally been getting lower here compared to 5 or more years ago. To get 400,000 yen per month will mean working quite long hours (I �d anticipate working 2 jobs &/or having some private students too) UNLESS you can get directly into a more senior teacher trainer or office manager position.

Here are a few sites for you to look through.
http://www.gaijinpot.com/#  (have a browse through the forums too, there is some very useful advice in their if you search carefully)

Feel free to contact me via personal messenger if you want some more info about Japan.

Good luck!
AB

7 Oct 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

Thx Alien boy, Cyn, deadbeat, laumer, Mahalo for your useful advice.
I �ll keepyou posted.
All the other members out there... Any comments? :)

7 Oct 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

As asked by my dear friend JulietaVL here is what I told Miss Veronica through PM: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2318
Cheers!
Cyn

7 Oct 2009     

Mishuna
Argentina

Hi Veronica, I know what you mean...I think that my future as a teacher won �t be as I �ve imagined...I �m only 24 but the idea of working and living abroad for a few years has always been on my mind and for exactly the same reasons that you have stated.
I don �t know any programs...you can get in touch with Rotary Club, I know that if you �re a member it �s easy to go abroad and get a job.
I hope you have the best luck in your plans!

7 Oct 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Thank you Cynthia Wink

7 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >