Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Why the Simpsons?    

Why the Simpsons?

Mahalo
United States

Why the Simpsons?

Hi all-

Just out of curiosity, why do so many worksheets use the Simpsons as examples? I have had so many people tell me that the Simpsons TV programs are ones that they do not allow their children to watch. My parents never let me watch it, nor do I let my daughter watch it either. Bart and Homer are SOOOOO disrespectful, the mom is such a whiner, and Lisa is extremely sarscastic. (PLEASE REALIZE THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION STATED HERE...)

During my Family Unit, I showed some tv clips of examples of families - The Cosby �s, The Simpsons, Leave It To Beaver, Hannah Montana, etc.

Students stated that the Simpsons were the worst kind of family that they would want. They are terrible representations of the American family...Greedy, Lazy, Disrespectful to Elders, Sloppy, Antagonizing, Criminal, etc...

What is your opinon on this?

7 Oct 2009      

alien boy
Japan

A lot of humor is based on very negative things. That might explain some of the popularity!

Oh, did you know that in the original cartoons it was the mother that was the hopelessly drunken, terrible character & that the father )Homer) was a fine, honest & caring character?

I �m looking forward to reading some of the comments Wink

7 Oct 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

I do think your are right, but many ppl use them due to their popularity.
I think there are far worse cartoons to use as teaching examples: Family Guy & South Park
I only use them with grown ups. And once I used South Park, the movie to teach or make stds realize the "flaws" of this disfunctional family 

7 Oct 2009     

cecio_13
Argentina

I �d never used the simpsons with my pupils... but I love them... I watch The Simpsons since I was a little girl... 
I know that most people state that the Simpsons are the worst kind of family that people would want... But I still love them... Embarrassed
They have got a sarcastic humour... (that �s why I like them...)
Hugs,
Ceci

P.S: Anyway I do not use them with my students... 

7 Oct 2009     

eslteacher78
Brazil

Although, you make an interesting point I �d like to say that the TV show is really a window to pop culture as we know it. Not only has it found every seemingly facet of our society and every event of our time but it is also responsible for Bart being the highest recognition factor among kids of many countries. Even the Archbishop of Canterbury called the TV show the most subtle pieces of propaganda around.

Yet, The Simpsons are subversive and irreverent.

The show ranks from Marge and moral values to Lisa and the environment, from Homer and consumerism to Mr. Burns and corporate villainy. Not to mention Itchy and Scratchy cartoons - violence on TV, Chief Wiggum - police corruption. It clearly depicts our society in an intelligent, subversive, wide-ranging and funny way.

I reckon Groening has been trying to show the dangers and the negative influences that modern society and bad life styles could lead to.

In many instances one can see oneself going through some of those issues and not knowing if the events would really turn out not to be Simponsian.

What drove me to share my view here, was an episode I �ve just watched where the following takes place:

"The staff of Springfield Elementary goes on strike. Lisa arrives home to inform her father of the fact, and of her support for the striking teachers. Homer says, "Lisa, if you don´t like your job, you don´t strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That �s the American way."

What about that? Wink

7 Oct 2009     

Mahalo
United States

UGH!!!! Please keep your input coming, I would like to share you thoughts with my classes!

7 Oct 2009     

_babz
Canada

Why the Simpsons?

Nothing funnier than watching Americans made fun of. LOL

Why do teachers use them as examples? Cause, they have been on tv for over 20 years, and most people know them EVEN IF they don �t watch the show.

that means that you can use them in a Comparative/Superlative worksheet without any worries.... it �s not like these teachers (like myself) are showing episodes after episodes in class.

And although small children should avoid watching episodes, doing a worksheet based on them won �t ruin them for life - after all - let �s be realistic - most children are subjected to a lot worse from tv, the Net and even their daily surroundings

SIMPSONS 4 EVER!

7 Oct 2009     

pete
Mexico

Well, I think that when you �re teaching English, you have to use all the resources avaible in order to have a funny and dynamic class...I don �t watch the Simpsons so often but I have prepared a lot of activities because they are cartoons very popular and funny....everybody know who are the Simpsons so it �s a great resource...chao

7 Oct 2009     

douglas
United States

I think they are so often used because they are so popular all over the world.  They somehow "touch a chord" with almost everybody.  In the seventies it was Charlie Brown and Peanuts that was known by "everybody" and then came the smurfs (not quite as popular in the US as everywhere else though).

The Simpsons, like Peanuts,  provides such a variety of chracters that almost everybody can find one or two to relate to.  I also think its international charm lays a lot in the curiosity about the "destructive American lifestyle" that is so misunderstood in the rest of the world.  Many people watch it and say that is how Americans really are and it is hard for an American to argue against it because most of us know somebody that fits each character.

Just my two cents worth,

Douglas

7 Oct 2009