Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Banned Books    

Banned Books

Zora
Canada

Banned Books

This morning a discussion unfolded about the book "The Perks of being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky and it �s appropriateness in a Grade 11 class (in the US).

Because of this topic, I looked at a link Douglas had provided and found that to my dismay great books are banned in SOME schools in the US public education system and this makes me shake my head!! Look at the list below and form your own opinion on whether a 15-18 year old can handle the following titles!

1. Huckleberry Finn
2. Catcher in the Rye
3. To Kill a Mockingbird
4. Bridge to to Terabithia!!
5. The Lord of the Flies
6. Of Mice and Men
7. The Colour Purple
8. Harry Potter series!!!
9. Slaughterhouse Five
10. The Bluest Eye

http://712educators.about.com/od/bannedbooks/tp/banned_books.htm

Warm regards,

Linda Smile

7 Oct 2009      

reeta1
Canada

They banned To Kill a Mockingbird??? Many years ago, in the Canadian school system, there was talk of banning Snow White because of the part where the hunter talks of ripping Snow White �s heart out. For the record, I read Mockingbird in grade 10. Didn �t understand it at the time, but now I think it �s one of the best books ever. In Canadian schools, Bridge to Terabithia is a staple of grade 6 classrooms.

7 Oct 2009     

roneydirt
United States

That is just the top 10 at the moment....   you should see the full list, it is scary many old classics are on there.  I don �t have it anymore with me since I stopped teaching in America and now in China.  I was told about their (China) suppressive ways and would have a person following me all around.  but so far in the books areas they are far more open and no one following me around which is a bummer since I got lost several times trying to find new places. 

It also follows bans on the history department which is my speciality.  I love have a professor tell me the Trail of Tears wasn �t really that bad and it wasn �t a racist thing.  My mother �s family survived it by hiding in the swamps of Georgia and the story of it is passed down from diaries and by spoken stories. 

I think America is falling behind in education because too many non-teacher groups have too much say.  Then again education in ALL nations is a political tool to get some groups way.

7 Oct 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

The question is, whether one can compare a book about sex, rape, masturbation, (in other words, the theme is sex and perverted sex mostly) and a book like Catcher in the Rye.

It is true, that one tends to throw out the baby with the bath water, but let´s face it, these books can be read by adults at any time.  Children, and a 16 year old is a child, need to be protected from such filth.

One must look at things in perspective. 

Judy

7 Oct 2009     

arlissa
United States

If you read the article more carefully it says these books "often become banned books in American schools." Does this list say how many schools? Nope. I read most of these books in my highschool, and I know many highschools using them now. It is a localized issue. Our federal government cannot legally ban books from education, education is enforced at a state level, and more specific rules are chosen on a county or city level.

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

The fact that books like Harry Potter or Road to Terabithia are even considered unsuitable is a just crazy...  and just because "some schools" do it while others don�t, isn�t a good thing. Why should some states or counties be allowed to ban a book at all?? Sounds very medieval to me...

And Judy... Have you read the book in question?? I think that we can �t form an opinion of a book on the views of one "questionable website". In fact, I remember a few web pages that said Harry Potter incited children to practise Satanism and Witchcraft and destroyed family values!! Not at all a realistic view of the book... 

7 Oct 2009     

Sulany
Brazil

My daughter is a senior in an American High school and they are reading of Mice and Man this month. I don �t think this list is mandatory.
Regards
S.

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

I edited the wording to "Some schools" but the fact that any school bans classics is crazy... 

7 Oct 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Linda,
Banning Harry Potter books IS NOT crazy.  This is BLATANT witchcraft, the likes of which have not been seen in children �s books.  You put them up there with those other books?  Having known several witches and done a lot of research on them and the occult, I know the truth behind Harry Potter books.  MUCH of the withcraft is very real.  In fact, JK Rowling said she DID NOT invent Harry Potter.  He came into her head "fully formed."  What source do you think put that there? She said that on a talk show I once heard.

In fact, I remember a few web pages that said Harry Potter incited children to practise Satanism and Witchcraft and destroyed family values!! Not at all a realistic view of the book... 

7 Oct 2009  

Well, I am sorry to say this but you are blinded, just like Satan wants you to be.  If parents want to pollute their kids � minds with books like this then it is their choice but for a school to do it is intollerable.  BTW, Harry Potter is a character NOT a book.   What do you call soul possession, divination, shape-shifting, necromancy, spell casting and astral projection?  THESE and more are in the Harry Potter books. Maybe you need to read them with an open mind and see them for what they are.  I have to strongly disagree with you and anyone who takes your opinion in this matter. 

7 Oct 2009     

Portugal

BooooooooOOOOOO! Sooooorry, Victor. I just couldn �t resist adding the pic. I will erase it later.

My father died when I was 8. There was a book from Jorge Amado in his library that was forbidden to us, kids. It was the first one I picked. I don �t think that has affected me a bit. I thank my God to have been raised in a family with books at home. It was my privilege. I learned easily about the value of books, I think, but I read a lot of rubbish, too: improved my critical thinking.
Embarrassed
My best regards to all.
Idalina Jorge

7 Oct 2009     

readingaol
Portugal

During my degree, The bluest Eye was mandatory and Huckleberry Finn was also mandatory.

7 Oct 2009     

1    2    3    4    5    Next >