Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Was asked a great question today that I had no answer to...    

Was asked a great question today that I had no answer to...

N.F.T
South Africa

Was asked a great question today that I had no answer to...

Was asked a great question today but one of my students.

Other than being a statement (discourse marker?) what other part of speech does the word Whatever fall into?

Another question.  (only been teaching a few months).  I find students get very confused with grammar sometimes.  Case in point:  today I was doing a lesson on adjectives.  Being an Advanced Class I was getting into the nitty gritty - demonstrative adjectives, proper adjectives, adjectives of order, interrogative adjectives - and my students kept disagreeing that some of these were actually pronouns, Proper Nouns etc.  My answer to this was that YES THEY ARE ALSO OTHER PARTS OF GRAMMAR but when considering the topic ADJECTIVES we must focus only ON THAT TOPIC and not worry about other parts of speech for now.

Is this correct or am I as confused as they are?

Hope it �s not just me.

7 Oct 2009      

szamoca
Hungary

Whatever
relative pronoun-You can choose whatever you like.
determiner-We �ll be ready at whatever time you get there.
question pronoun-Whatever do you mean?
conjunction-We must stay together whatever happens.
adverb-There is nothing whatever to worry about.

Your answer for your Ss was proper.
Hugs.

7 Oct 2009     

Portugal

NFT, what do you mean with your qs:

what other part of speech does the word Whatever fall into?

Whatever is an indefinite pronoun. Is that what you want  to know?

About the second issue:

There is a nomenclature issue there. If we use the word determiner, the difference between determiners and pronouns is that determiners are followed by a noun and pronouns aren �t and everything - I figure - will be more logical: 

Ex
This is my laptop. (my is a determiner, because it is followed by a noun)

Anyway, there is some debate about considering this category either as adjectives or determiners, both nomenclatures are in use. The issue here is being or not being followed by a noun, as far as determiners and pronouns are considered.

Was I clear enough? I hope this is what you�re looking for...Embarrassed
Best regards,
Idalina Jorge

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Copied from PerfectYourEnglish, I am feeling lazy tonight. Sorry! Embarrassed

The words whoever, whatever, wherever, whichever, whenever and however have similar meanings to �it doesn�t matter who, what, which etc.,� it may be. A word of this kind has a double function: it acts as a subject, object or adverb in its own clause. It also acts as a conjunction joining its clause to the rest of the sentence.

- Whatever you may say I am not going to take him back. (= It doesn�t matter what you say, I won�t take him back.)

-  Wherever you go, I shall follow you. (It doesn�t matter where you go, I shall follow you.)

-  Whoever disobeys the law must be punished. (It doesn�t matter who disobeys the law, he/she must be punished.)

-  Keep calm, whatever happens.

-  However much he eats, he never gets fat.

These words are also used to suggest something not definitely known.

-  I shall come whenever I can slip away.

-  We shall send whoever is available.

-  You will have to be content with whatever you can get.

7 Oct 2009