Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teaching with songs....    

Teaching with songs....

Samantha.esl
Italy

Teaching with songs....

Hello everyone,

I �d like to know your opinions in regards to songs, whether you consider these sort of songs suitable for the class:
 http://www.isabelperez.com/songs/fear.htm

http://www.isabelperez.com/songs/cleaningout.htm

Last week, one of the english teachers, who works with me at school, was very dissapointed because she had taken a song to a class (a group aged around 15-16) and the headmistress said the lyrics of the song were horrible and actually were an apology of death. The song was IRONIC by Alanise Morissette.

My question basically is, what criteria do you use to choose the songs you take to class?

Thanks.. SAM

EDIT: I also recommend this site, which you might already know, but here it goes:
http://www.isabelperez.com/

It is a wonderful site full of ideas and activities to print and take to class..

BTW, does anyone have the link to a website which explains how to make lovely power points? I had one but as I had to re-install the system in my notebook, I lost all the links in my favourites.. and I can´t find the page! It has a blue background... (I just thougth I´d ask both questions in one so as to kill two birds in one shot.. or something of the sort! LOL)

Edit2: Thank you so much AlienBoy, that´s the web page I was looking for!!

As for the songs, yes... I do the same, I mean, I try to look for songs that would match the grammatical structure and if possible vocabulary... I just find it a little difficult because, when you want to take songs that students listen to and which they will find motivating to learn english... Those songs are often quite rude to discuss in class, or too violent. So should bands such as EMinem, Lilly Allen, for instance be avoided?..

8 Oct 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Try http://www.actden.com/pp/ for PowerPoint

With regard to songs, it can be a little difficult. It �s important to take into consideration cultural sensitivities - e.g. in Saudi Arabia I wouldn �t be looking at sexually provocative lyrics in any way shape or form. In fact, you may even have to be careful about who the recording artist is!

I usually look at what aspect of the English curriculum we are covering & find something that is related to that. recently one of my colleagues balekd at teaching �Puff the magic Dragon � to 2nd grade elementary students because of the drug inferences that are in the song. Mind you, those inferences are only there if you are aware of the drug culture they spring from in the first place!! I �m sure that interpretation would be totally lost on Japanese 8 year olds without some very complicated translation taking place....

So. like other forms of literature, it is possible for people to read innuendo into anything that they want to.....

Regards,
AB

8 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

Thanx, a b,   great site.

8 Oct 2009     

olaola
Italy

ciao! for power point I use this:

8 Oct 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

Unfortunately songs haven�t been my only problem, as Alien boy says due to cultural/religious matters I have had to chop classics in order not to deal with certain difficult topics. examples? Animal Farm being read in a catholic school, or The Great Gatsby
I would suggest to have in mind when dealing with songsnot only the grammar point we want to teach,or vocabulary but also the debate following the song.

you said "the headmistress said the lyrics of the song were horrible and actually were an apology of death."
This is true, but I think that if the song had been attached to a newspaper article dealing with this theme, in order to trigger a debate, her reaction might have been different.

8 Oct 2009     

szelma
Poland

Dear Samantha,

My problems with songs are different. Students already know them well or do not like them :). However, I don �t give up and ask them to give me the list of artists they like. In this way I get to know new singers and bands.

Thank you for this great link. Do you have any other useful links concerning songs?

Thank you and good luck.

Justyna

PS I didn �t know that "Ironic" is "an apology of death". I have always thought about it as an encouragement to live your life and not postpone your dreams and plans.

8 Oct 2009     

Tata_Teacher
Brazil

Where did you or did she get the information that Ironic is "an apology of death"? I really don �t see the song like that. Actually, in my opinion, the only problem in using this song would be if your goal was to teach the meaning of Irony. Although "Ironic" is the title of the song, the events listed by her are just a sequence of unfortunate events, but not examples of irony or sarcasm.

As for the use of songs, it �s important to take many things into account: cultural perspective, age appropriateness, student �s interest and your objective (grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary, warm-up, review, starting point or follow-up of a discussion, etc.).

In other words... it �s not an easy task if you want to use a song with a purpose.

9 Oct 2009