Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Simpsons Represented on Playboy-Is this what we are portraying as educational?    

The Simpsons Represented on Playboy-Is this what we are portraying as educational?

Mahalo
United States

The Simpsons Represented on Playboy-Is this what we are portraying as educational?

Hi all- I was shocked when I saw this advertised on MSN. Here again is my inquiry about using the Simpsons to represent educational learning..... What are your feelings about this?
©Playboy/Zap2It.com
� Playboy/Zap2It.com
Marge Simpson Playboy Cover: Cool or Creepy?

Zap 2 It

"Family Guy" may have received a Best Comedy Emmy nomination, but "The Simpsons" is getting the ultimate tribute by Hugh Hefner.

Marge Simpson has landed on the cover of Playboy �s November issue, reports TMZ.

Yes, the blue-haired matriarch of Springfield has revealed a bit more of that yellow skin than we �ve ever seen before for an alluring pose that makes us feel, well, kind of disturbed.

We love Marge, but sexualizing her? That just seems wrong somehow. Then again, sexy cartoons are nothing new. Jessica Rabbit comes to mind.

Marge reportedly also poses in sexy cartoon lingerie in a three-page spread inside the magazine.

The choice of Marge was part of a larger effort on the magazine �s part to reach an audience that �s in their 20s, according to the Sun Times.

"[It was] obviously somewhat tongue-in-cheek," CEO Scott Flanders told the paper.

Follow our news & gossip updates on Twitter @MSN_Entertain

9 Oct 2009      

Nines Picado
Spain

Surprised to see that  your avatar is like mine.
Nines

10 Oct 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Kids don �t get all the jokes in these shows, they just laugh at the stupid things the characters do. So, I see nothing wrong in using them. My point of view...

Olga

10 Oct 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Hi there

Personally I do like to use The Simpsosn in worksheets that I will use with adults, not with kids.

With kids I prefer using other kind of cartoons� characters, like Walt Disney�s

My humble opinion

10 Oct 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I think so many things get twisted and turned nowadays, just because they sell well (the use and abuse of humour and cartoons has always been present in human history). But all we can do and ALL WE MUST DO  is - LEAD BY EXAMPLE! You can �t turn back time, you can �t undo sth somebody did... But you can and have to - teach what you think should be taught, live how you think life should be lived. As soon as more (good) people stop giving up, we �ll all be better off. What �s the saying? All it takes for evil to flourish is for a few good men to do nothing. You don �t have to start a revolution, attack someone else �s work - attacks answered by attacks only lead to more attacks (evil begets evil). Just lead by example, do your own positive thing! There is always a difference between what is good and what is  easy, as good old J. K. Rowling said!

10 Oct 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

The Simpsons provides educators with a broad range of characters to use in their discussions and to teach pretty much any subject.  Just having the discussion on whether or not simpsons should be watched by children would provide a very fascinating debate/discussion.  It is a vast community of people with various issues.  I don �t see the problem as long as the topic you are teachingi s age appropriate.

I love the Simpsons and really don �t see any harm in it.  I use my Simpsons Guess Who with teenagers and adults alike - i find that Children would prefer whatever is hot at the moment for their guess who. 

Everything seems to be sexualised these days - I won �t be using the playboy picture of Marge in my classes - but Marge in an apron - why not?

10 Oct 2009     

douglas
United States

Marge in an APRON!!   How sexist, how could you?  LOL

I �m just teasing (and supporting anita �s point as well I think).

10 Oct 2009