Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Any good ideas out there?    

Any good ideas out there?

N.F.T
South Africa

Any good ideas out there?

Hi all:)

My class tomorrow is on sentence structure - the class is very small (8 students) and they are a blend of Advanced/Upper Intermediate - various nationalities and ages.

Has anyone got any fun and creative activities for learning the simple, compound and complex sentence strucutures.  The WS available here are a bit graded for them - they �re a controversial bunch:)

Thanks in advance!

12 Oct 2009      

alien boy
Japan

You could try cutting up a few interesting contemporary news items. Make sure the articles are well written. Cut the sentences up & jumble them around. Form your students into pairs. Get each pair to organise a sentence properly, collect another sentence & then put the article in the correct order!

After that you may want to discuss why things were right, wrong or if a better structure could have been made. Better yet, get the opposing teams to judge & you advise them on whether they are right.

Just an idea...

Goodnight from Japan!
AB

12 Oct 2009     

miyoko71
Morocco

Hi!

I don �t know if an exercise on scrambled sentences will help you.
For instance you can  ask four or five students to come in front of their friends holding cards -where you write parts of sentence-but they should stand in disorder, and ask the other students to put them in the correct order in order to form a coherent sentence.
I hope this helps you
miyoko71

12 Oct 2009