Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What ´s the extra word?    

What ´s the extra word?

ARaquelSP
Portugal

I would also take "film" out, but now it seems all possibilities are ok!Confused

15 Oct 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

I think I will opt by telling students that we can take out either film or romance.

Thanks everybody for your help!
Raquel

15 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Nikadixon

Sorry - I should have clarified - I was responding to the comment Both words seem correct alone, but strange together...

I think that in the example given in the initial post the extra word is romance because we need film to determine whether it is a book, film or even a play.  We don ´t have the full context and therefore can ´t say for sure which is the extra word (edit, however I see in a later post that more context is given but, if we say seen it could mean a film or a theatrical play)

Cheers - Jayho

15 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Yes, I quite agree with you, Jayho, they don ´t sound strange together at all, I just didn ´t want to emphasize this sentence, sticking  to Raquel´s title what´s the extra word? to keep the issue in the right track or, at least, the one I thought was right, meaning:

1.there are 2 words: romance & film;
2.one must be taken,
3.which one?

(I ´m not too sure this was what Ana really wanted now, there could be a crosslinguistical issue there, as I mentioned before).

Cheers, everybody,
ij 

edit: quoting Jayho!
What𠏋 odd is that it𠏋 going to be a romance film.   That´s reaaaaaally odd, Jayho, I agree. LOL The subject would work better as a horror film. But, who am I to say? My American, 32 yo, military in Iraq, conservative nephew would argue  with me: the subject would rather make an epical film - and he takes a kick out of arguing with left-handed auntie - if she let him to... (Good night, all: 12:34 here and still a lot of work to be done ; chit-chatting with cyberpals, anh?Embarrassed)
Jayho! Clap

15 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

SImply, in this case ´romance � is an adjective. It describes the type of film. If you leave ´film � out it then leaves ´romance � to act as a noun. This is confusing because ´romance � can then be interpreted as many different things.

Jayho´s last post was very clear & concise.

Regards,
AB

15 Oct 2009     

Portugal

, all!
ij

15 Oct 2009     

JModesto
Portugal

I think romance it ´s more accurate to use with books which belong to this kind of genre.

When talking about films, we must use romantic film instead of romance film.

Bye

15 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

JModesto - very good point. It is definitely more common to hear ´romantic film � than ´romance film �.

However ´romance � could be considered a genre of movie just like ´horror � and in that case it could be used correctly.

Cheers,
AB

15 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

How about a good old fashioned - love film?Thumbs Up
(you know - the kind  yucky kissing as kids often say)
L

15 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

In Japan the kids would call them ´love-love � movies LOL or should that be ´lub-lub � movies!

WHere I grew up they might well call them ´suck-face � movies...

15 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >