Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Say and write dates    

Say and write dates

catiahenriques
Portugal

Say and write dates

Hello! :)
I know that , in english, the way we say and write the dates is different. 
If I want to say a date It �s like On the first of January but If I want write it it�s like 1st January.
Am I right?
Thanks
C�tia

15 Oct 2009      

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Yes, that �s right, Catia; the exception is in formal communications such as legal documents where it is mandatory to write the date in full -  the first of January, 2009 - and also in formal wedding invitations.

15 Oct 2009     

dayssb
Brazil

Every day, before starting the class, I always write the date on the board like this:
Ex. October 14th, 2009 - Wednesday
You put the day first and the month after.
Do you think it`s Ok to write the way I do?
Thanks

15 Oct 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Dayssb, you are writing the date in the American format. The British way is day - month - year. Americans write it month - day - year. Personally, I prefer the British way, as, to me, it �s more logical : ) In Brazil, most schools teach the American way, so you �d write it according to the norm of your school.

15 Oct 2009     

wilwarin32
Argentina

I think it �s the same, you can put the month after or before the ordinal. BTW, there are two ways in which you can read them (no matter how you wrote them). For instance: 2nd May, or May 2nd can be read as "May the second" or "the second of May".
I didn �t know about the legal documents... now I do!!
Hope it helps,
Luj�n

15 Oct 2009