Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Diwali    

Diwali

mariannina
Italy

Diwali

Hello. Happy Diwali. Today in India they celebrate the festival of lights; it would be great to know more about this tradition. Hello dear Indian friends do you mind talking about Diwali? Thank you.
Ciao Hug Mariannina

17 Oct 2009      

eng789
Israel

To all our Indian friends.  I read a bit about it and it sounds like a wonderful holiday.  Enjoy.

17 Oct 2009     

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

Happy Diwali To All Indian friends !

17 Oct 2009     

pukas
Portugal

Happy Diwali to all are Indian friends!
I would like to know more about this holiday.

17 Oct 2009     

HOLYMARY_852
India

Thank you all who sent Diwali Greetings to Indian teachers. Diwali or Deepavali (Lighting the lamps), when electric  power was not there, people used to light earthen lamps with a thick cotton thread dipped in oil. It is a festival celebrated to mark the victory of good over evil, and coincided with the return of Rama to Ayodhya (His kingdom) after spending 14 years in exile. He killed Ravana reprsenting evil to get back Sita, his wife who was kidnapped by Ravana. Thanks once again to all the members. May God Bless all and bring peace in this world which is torn with terrorism and hatred.

17 Oct 2009     

gitasiva
India

Thank you very much and wish you all the same!
May the lights bring you lots of love, happiness and wealth and health!!

http://i.123g.us/c/eoct_diwali_thank/th/112308_th.gif

To know more about Diwali please click here

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/Homework/religion/diwali.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali

17 Oct 2009     

Adel A
Egypt

happy day my friend

17 Oct 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Hi. At school there are about 30 Indian children and they shared with us the tradition of making a dyia, the lamp. We used salt dough and this is the result (it �s very simple, but we loved this activity)

17 Oct 2009     

pauguzman
Argentina

Happy Diwali !

17 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Thank you all, for the information provided.

Gitasiva, I �ve been through the links you have provided, thank you.

I realize this is a  Sikhs, Hindus and Jains Festival. For Sikhs, Diwali is particularly important, right?The name of the festival comes from Sanskrit .

Here is another link, where we can learn more about Sikhism; it seems accurate:

Happy Diwali, Festival of Light, to all members who observe it. As far as I recall, there is a large community in the UK, too.

17 Oct 2009