Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > We said this, you said get out of the village!    

We said this, you said get out of the village!

goodnesses
Algeria

We said this, you said get out of the village!

Many would say that this should be on the "Caf�" but as it is meant as a response to some of the forum threads (some of which are still on the on the front page and some have gone out since many days/weeks) I will post it here. Then it could always be interesting for some to make a WS of it.

It �s just a famous Arabian fable, which goes as follows:

Once upon the time a wise man called "Dje´ha" lived in a small village. The village was ruled by a very unfair judge. The wise man tried and tried to make the judge fair with the people of the village and their affairs. But the judge never listened to his wise advice. The wise man kept insisting again and again. So, the judge got tired and fed up with that annoying  man who was always trying to give him lessons on how he should rule his village and people. Thus,  he decided to ban him from the village forever. He called him and ordered him firmly, "At dawn tomorrow you leave the village and never come back again." The next day Dje´ha, on his way out of the village, came under the judge´s window when this later was contemplating the first lights of the day before the early morning prayer. Dje´ha had his donkey and a pair of grindstones that people used at the time for grinding meal. Dje´ha was having a big problem while the judge was watching and laughing at him "What dump man!" Every time Dje´ha loaded the pair of grindstones on the side carrier on the donkey´s back the stones fell down on the floor with the carrier. After a moment the judge becoming very angry and upset with Dje´ha´s stupidity shouted at him "You stupid man! Why don´t you load each part of the grindstone on one of each of the donkey´s side carriers so as to balance the scale." At that moment Dje´ha looked up at him and said, "Venerable Judge we said this, you said leave the village."

The moral??? It �s up to you...

Have a good night.

17 Oct 2009      

eng789
Israel

goodnesses - it �s a great story -  but I lost you.   You posted in reference to ......????

17 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Interesting. We have a similar story in Portuguese. I like traditional stories. They always have somth to reflect upon.
Thank you.
Best regards
nikadixon
Edit: Eng, that story is not as long as the book I suggested. EmbarrassedIt�s a tiny, small one, come on...

17 Oct 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

Why did you post it here?
What are you talking about?
Who is the judge?
Are you the wise man?

Hugs
linda

18 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

We all interpret these stories in our own way based on our own perceptions and experience.

I love these kinds of stories. 

18 Oct 2009