Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > You use your maternal language?    

You use your maternal language?

vardaki
Cyprus

You use your maternal language?

Hi everybody!!
Good evening from  hot Cyprus...

I � d like to ask you if you use  your maternal language during the English lesson. Here the  inspectorShocked  tell me not to use the Greek language the hourUnhappy (40 minutes, 2 times the week) of English lesson. It � s very difficult for me.

Have a nice Sunday!!!

17 Oct 2009      

libertybelle
United States

It all depends on how old your students are and how long they �ve had English.
I speak an "easy" English (no long words or sentences) with my younger students.
But use their first language when explaining things.
If you want to be a good teacher - you have to speak as much English as possible.
You also have to develop your vocabulary. Because, as your students become better, so must you.
Use songs, poems, films, listening exercises and have your students speak with each other. They speak much more together than with only you.
Practice makes perfect.
L

17 Oct 2009     

lomasbello
Venezuela

It is not realiable to use your mother tongue since it is supposed students should learn the L2 without end up in L1. English teachers should open the circus and do magic but not use translation as a resource. You can use flashcards, realia, posters and  games to make understood yourself.

18 Oct 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Hi,
I understand what you mean, it isn �t always easy to use only english in class .....but it is possible.
Mother tongue should only be used if it really is required to reinforce and/ or make sure students know the meaning of specific vocabulary.
The more input and exposure to the english language students get, the better it is for their language acquisition.
You should also try to simplify the language according to your students level.

This is the ideal, and it is sometimes difficult if classes are too big. But you should not give up and make students have you a the referent of english.

Sam

18 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

a little addition:
The more your students (and yourself) think in English, the easier it gets.
Lots of repetition helps re-enforce the language.
But remember, in the end, it is your students who need to learn, not you!
You need to teach. So you get them going, and let them do the work.
If you think you �re students haven �t understood an assignment, explain in their language.
(and DON �T tell your boss.  What he doesn �t know won �t hurt him!!)

18 Oct 2009     

English971
Guadeloupe

Totally agree with Samantha...........Sure, it is not easy but it �s the best thing to do to help your pupils learn the language. they need to hear it as often as possible and many of them only hear at school during English classes.

18 Oct 2009     

vardaki
Cyprus

It �s very difficult for me to think in EnglishConfused I �m a teacher in primary school for 18 years and is the first time I teach this lesson. Thanks anyway.

18 Oct 2009     

lomasbello
Venezuela

Listening to English songs and Watching programs without subtitles is a great tool to start thinking in English. Every time you listen an idiom or an expression take it as a part of your active vocabulary. I mean, use it as much as possible.

18 Oct 2009     

Bare
Croatia

I completely agree with libertybelle and others !

I use English as much as possible...Sometimes when we talk about grammar I use mother tongue or I copy the text we work on and replace some English words with Croatian ( instead of pictures - sometimes it �s hard to find adequate picture) and children find it amusing ( It sounds terrible!!!).But they have to read the whole text in English.

If it is hard for you to start using English and English only you can introduce several English days. I do that with little kids - I put on the badge " Talk to me in English please" and I don �t understand any Croatian word that day.So THEY must  talk to me  in English only.With funny face and several gestures it works well!!!You may try! They can make their badge too!Wink

18 Oct 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I do not speak L1 to my students and it took me a while to figure it out. I know it �s not easy but for me it comes down to planning. When I plan, I try to figure out where I would resort to L1 and try to find a solution: flashcards, modeling, miming, simplifying...

I teach elementary and I have my students for 6 years. They are used to having an English class in English.

18 Oct 2009     

natyhatt
Argentina

It can be difficult at first, mostly if your students are very young and know little english.
You need to simplify the language according to your students level. 
You can always use gestures to show meaning.
Of course, some times you will need yo use L1. But just do your best and start using English as much as you can.
If you are not sure about your English, try to improve it. Listen to music, the radio, watch movies, etc. And try to repeat what the speakers say. That will help you with your pronunciation.
Good luck!!

18 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >