Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > kindergarten students help     

kindergarten students help

samsunmustafa
Turkey

kindergarten students help

This month I will start to teach English to kindergarten students aged 5-6.They don �t know writing or alphabet and they wont learn them this year.I will teach only speaking.If you are a kindergarten teacher or know about teaching to kids, please help me .I don �t know what to do and what to use.Do you use any specific material for them or do you know any websites that are useful for them.Please help me .I �m waiting for your helpful answers.
   If you don �t mind you can pm me and I can ask you more questions if you are a kindergarten English teacher and want to help me.Thanks in advance.

20 Oct 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

I really have to hurry to work, but I �ve been teaching kids from 4-74 for 17 years now and I absolutely love the age you mention. You �ll need to use flashcards and objects instead of written words. You can play lots of word games with them - for instance, have them repeat the same word showing them a flashcard of it by changing their voices - loudly, softly, like a big elephant, like a spoiled princess, etc. You can teach them 4-5 new words using flashcards (or small toys), have them close their eyes, you hide 1 fc, have them open their eyes and guess what �s missing, etc. They love movement, dancing, fingerplays, and you can easily google lots of materials for it - just type in preschool english, or teaching preschoolers, there are great things such as fingerplays with instructions, free downloadable songs and nursery rhymes, great short sotries and plays (role-play, TPR) for them. They also love prizes such as stickers for the coloring pages which you give them (and use as coloring dictations), and there are lots of stickers here at ESL. If you need any more help, pm me, but I �ll probably be able to answer tomorrow - have to work now. Btw, there are also great preschool courses such as SuperSongs, Zig Zag, Cookie and Friends, Barney, etc. Enjoy them - they are honest and fun and you get to change activities often, play memory games, sing, dance, be goofy and stuff. They won �t be politely quiet when they �re bored, so if too many of them get bored, you �ll know soon. Just sit with them on the floor/carpet/bloanket, don �t use the traditional desk-benches approach. You �ll be amazed at their progress!
Good luck!
Anita

20 Oct 2009     

goodluck137
Turkey

Hello Samsunmustafa, I am not a kindergarden teacher but I have had the chance of   observing some kindergarden teacher and students while teaching and learning.

As the first thing never think that they will never understand you because of their illiteracy. They get everything faster than any other students because their minds are really open :)

The way to teach English to these is that,

-use of authentic materials(toys,clothes,clasroom objects,colourful pictures, etc)
-songs (action songs with acting)
-and make them know that they are learning AN OTHER LANGUAGE.

As I know the English classes for these ages are just to make the children aware of the other languages.  So trust me you dont have  to teach them reading or writing english, you will just make them see what is an other language.

I hope these will help you good luck.

20 Oct 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

HI.  I start with them saying their names.Then we go to numbers (1-10), colours of the rainbow, weather, body parts, animals (pets, farm and zoo), fruit and vegetables and clothes that they often wear.  It is not in that order. Most books start with numbers and colours first.  If you can, look at some kindergarden level books and see what they cover. GL

20 Oct 2009     

GigiGraziano
Argentina

Little kids... also love songs.. they like dancing and chanting. they also like to make collages so you can teach them for example some animals and then make all together a big collage on the floor.. when I taught them the fruits  I took real fruit and then we made a fruit salad... It was great they enjoyed it very much..
other game is group races you place some flashcard on the floor., and group them into two group when you say a word (dog) 1 kid from each group has to run and take the correspondent picture...
you can play statues.. you play a song you want them to practice and when you stop the music they have to simulate statue..
well.. something I used when i taught kids.. hope it �s useful..
best wishes..=)

20 Oct 2009     

Pastanaga
Spain

CHants and songs you can dance to and stories are the basis of the syllabus I implemented with kindergarten students.

I �ve sent you a pm.

20 Oct 2009     

svlgns
Turkey

Hi Mustafa,

I had 4 and 6-aged kindergarten students last year. We had books for very young learners to use in the classes. Cookie and Friends, Teddy �s Train, Hippo and Friends, Zig Zag Island are some of our books. It �s good to have a book because it includes lots of materials to use for each topic.

If you don �t have a chance to use a book I can recommend you to organise what you want to teach to students, according to topics. Such as clothes, weather, food, animals,  colours etc. Then you should prepare some flashcards of the words in the topics. Also you can use colouring pages for teaching and revising the vocabulary. You can make up games with flashcards. You can use some real materials for example clothes, food etc. Especially when teaching clothes, children  love to wear big clothes. Maybe their parents cothes :)

Role plays, stories, songs and dances are very useful when working with this age groups.  Using actions and dances related to the songs is very useful because it helps children to remember the words by pointing or acting when they hear it!

I hope these ideas will be helpful for you!

Good luck with little monsters :)

20 Oct 2009     

Loree83
Italy

Hello, I used to teach in a kindergarten, with children I tell stories using Flashcards and books for children with a lot of drawings, sing songs and tell rhymes in English. We had a routine in which we greet ourselves and a practical part at the end in which they draw and colour what they like most, tell to me their version of stories and so on and I write It in English for them.
I used to teach colours, numebrs to 10, festivities, weather, greetings, tell names and feelings (How are you?), animals

Good luck!  

20 Oct 2009     

dilac
Turkey

Hi!
Before posting a message, I �ve read all the posts written to you...
As a nursery class teacher for the last two years, I can definetely say that using a book in your class is of great importance. However, If you don �t have that kind of an opportunity, the best thing is to make yourself a plan about what to teach..
Then, I strongly advice you to get a puppet to teach the target vocabulary..
Fisrtly we start teaching the colours (red, pink, yellow, purple, green and blue)
Then go on with the numbers from 1 to 10..
and you can teach toys (teddy bear, dolly, train, ball, scooter, car),
body parts (head, arms, tummy, fingers, legs, feet), 
clothes (t-shirt, trousers, socks, shoes, hat),
pets (bird, spider, fish, turtle, rabbit, elephant), 
food (chocolate, ice-cream, cake, apples, fish, bananas)
It �s incredible to see how quickly they learn all these...(by the way, I teach all the vocab that I mentioned above in the first term)
Of course, I use the books "cookie and friends A and B" (a for the first, b for the second term)

The book has got a main character called Cookie and his friends Lulu and Densel...
They enjoy singing the songs and act out the stories of Cookie and his friends...
But, If you cannot get a book, you should definetely use flash cards, realia..
You should also apply to the games such as Kim �s game, Simon says, Chinese Wispers..
Also, the best way to introduce the new vocab is using the puppet..( I mean, not you but the puppet teachs them in a way)
Besides, when the children make sth that bothers you, you can say "Cookie is cross" or "Cookie is sad".. believe me, nobody wants to make him cross or sad:)

20 Oct 2009     

samsunmustafa
Turkey

Thanks a lot for all your great helps.I �m so grateful to you.

20 Oct 2009