Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Reading assessment    

Reading assessment

pauguzman
Argentina

Hi!!!i was taught that when you are assessing reading you are evaluating comprehension. Pronunciation could be one part of assessing speaking. For reading, as one member says here you can make true and false exercises and correct the false ones, questions,charts, etc. May be you can ask them oral questions about the text and there correct their pronunciation, but I think it �s unfair, because they would concentrate in the way they speak and not in content. I have been a substitute teacher many times, and if the teacher doesn �t leave clear instructions of what and how to correct, I do what I think it �s correct and fair for the students. Is it a language school, primary, secondary school?

24 Oct 2009     

monchis
Mexico

Hi nite,
If you want to be fair and be able to feedback students, using rubrics is a good method.
There�s a webpage which I have found quite useful when I don�t have time to create my own rubrics. www.rubristar.com
You can choose what you need to asses and you can modify and adapt it to your needs.
And remember that assesment is just a guide for both students and teachers to be aware of what you need to improve.
Once that you�ve got their marks, what do you plan to do? Depending on your students age and the time you�ve got to work with them, you could record them and make them identify and correct their own mistakes, or simply teach them  to peer feedback by eliciting correct pronunciation. ( for this you need to take notes of misspelled words).
Well, just a couple ideas that came to my mind and have helped my students to improve speaking skills including pronunciation.

Hope this helps you 

24 Oct 2009     

jeannesm
United States

I think reading assessment can be done a variety of ways. I like to have my students do a good bit of reading aloud to work on pronunciation while they read. Also, when someone reads aloud they are getting the language and information through reading, hearing, and speaking all at one time. This can be really helpful.

Another thing to take into account, as mentioned by others, is the level and age of your students. The assessments should be as appropriate to them as the reading material. It is good to do an assessment early on so you have something to compare to for improvement. I often think that informal assessments are just as critical to us as teachers as formal assessments are. Good luck with the teaching!

8 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3