Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I am confused    

I am confused

miss noor
Palestine

I am confused

Hi,

I am reaaly confused

Are these sentences right ?

This water is no good for use.

And

What is this water no good for ?

I think it  should be not  instead of no .

What do you think ?

25 Oct 2009      

monira21
Spain

Hi

I �m not sure but my instinct tells me that " this water is no good" is all right, but if you finish it with "for use" you need to say "this water is not good to use"

What do you think?

25 Oct 2009     

SaraMariam
United States

The phrase "no good" typically refers to quality or condition. 
The phrase "not good" can refer to quality, condition, or something that one finds to be bad or not pleasing, or a person

It �s raining, so we can �t go to the park. That �s not good. - This is something the speaker and the listener find to be unpleasing or bad. 

This keyboard doesn �t work anymore. Throw it away. It �s no good. Here, the speaker is referring to the condition of a keyboard. (You could say "not good" here, but this is an example of how someone would typically use "no good.)

no good can also be used just as informal language.

I "stole" this answer from a forum called english-test :p so it �s not my own lol but I thought it would be helpful :) thanks to the person who submitted it to that forum :)

So since in your sentence its a quality and condition of the water. no good would be correct :)

Hugs
Sara

25 Oct 2009