Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Moderators ´ Role & duties    

Moderators ´ Role & duties

alien boy
Japan

Moderators ´ Role & duties

After reading a lot of posts in the forum I�m starting to get a little confused (or should that be concerned) about what a moderator�s role actually is...

Would someone out there please give me an idea of what they believe a moderator�s role is & if Victor has also made any comments?

I�m asking this because I thought moderators were here to �moderate� reported uploads & not to consider themselves �forum moderators�...

Regards,
AB

29 Oct 2009      

zailda
Brazil

If you are referring to the fact I asked a member to stop advertising, I did it just as a member here, it was not "as a moderator". I only mentioned the fact I am a moderator because the member answered a PM (as Michaela said) saying that he would only stop advertising if moderators asked.

I �m completely aware about my duties as a moderator, and also as a member. I don �t consider myself as a "forum moderator", just remembering Victor asked us not to advertise on the forum. And there �s no need to be a moderator to advise this on the forum.

29 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Thanks for the comment Zailda Tongue

I am certain that the member you mentioned doesn�t realise that ESLPrintables� moderators aren�t actually �forum moderators� as would typically be found in forums.

No, I wasn�t aiming anything specific at you - I know from previous conversations that you believe that �vanilla� members & moderators are actually equal in the forum.

I �m also trying to stay away from citing specific posts so as to avoid any �flaming� which I am sure would accompany it.

I would love to read any specific role that people could state - if possible!

Have a good day!
Regards,
AB

29 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

My opinion is this: a moderator on this site is just for worksheets. We vote on removal of suspect worksheets.

As to the rest, any member can help others out, tell other new members where to go or what to do if they have a problem... Moderators have no "abilities" to ban or warn, but we can - like any other member here - help others out because most of us have been around longer than most members.

Moderators are members here who vote on worksheets - nothing more, nothing less. Having a 1000 points doesn �t entitle anybody to boss anyone around or moderate the forum like on other sites.

29 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I consider all members here equal but I also feel that not everyone here feels the same. I even feel kind of "inverted prejudice". I would like that people stopped referring to members as "moderators" or non-moderators.

When a member does something wrong and he is a moderator, people say: a moderator did ..." My main duty here (and all moderators � as well) is to share, to help, to create ws to help students. The only difference is that I have access to the reporting page and judge wss I think should whether stay or go.

I �m completely aware that this duty is not exactly "welcomed" by some members, especially the ones who had a ws removed. But it �s not our fault, we only vote, and as I previously said, everyone here is primarily a member and should read the rules first - so the moderators wouldn �t be necessary.

Have a nice day.

29 Oct 2009     

sazzag
United Kingdom

Oh how I agree with you Alien Boy.  I don �t like this tendency for "moderating" on the forum either and telling people what they can and can�t write. 

Over the last few days I noticed some posts that I thought were awful:  for example--one publicly criticised a particular member �s English because that member often posts short gramatical questions on the forum -- questions that a native speaker can reply to in seconds if they wish to help--  if they wish!!  Another suggested that the same member should look in a dictionary.

The moderators are supposed to help remove copied and non esl resources.  This should just mean voting on reported worksheets.  However some people seem to take this much further and seem to feel they have some kind of power and control over the whole site. 

But this is just my opinion of course....

29 Oct 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Wise words Zora and Zailda. I totally agree with what you wrote.

29 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@sazzag:

when Victor created the "moderators � staff" he didn �t mention we had to give up our rights as regular members here. And as regular members we have the right to suggest, advise, warn, complain, or anything else as any other member here.

29 Oct 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

Very nicely said, Zailda.Thumbs Up

29 Oct 2009     

sazzag
United Kingdom

Zailda I totally agree with you.  But there are ways and ways.  Being bossy and critical is not in my opinion the right "way". 

I am in no way talking about your posts today which seemed entirely appropriate to me.

The forum is a place for people to ask for help and asking short gramatical questions is entirely appropriate with no reason to advise, warn or complain.  People might like to remember that pms are sometimes more appropriate.

29 Oct 2009     

sazzag
United Kingdom

Oooh what a terrible response I wrote and even worse from an English teacher --- 3 x appropriate in 4 lines.  It �s been a long long day... 

29 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >