Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A little kinda doubt!!    

A little kinda doubt!!

fsams
Maldives

A little kinda doubt!!

Which is right and wrong?

My brother and me were going to the airport.

My brother and I were going to the airport.

Are the two sentence correct???

I have seen both variations. If you have read

Katie Price �s JORDAN:PUSHED TO THE LIMIT

you would see, She has used �Pete and me � instead of �Pete and I �

So I would like to know if it is a variation in British and American English.

Thanks
Fsams

7 Nov 2009      

dennismychina
China

Me and I. The following might help. Break the sentence down.

My brother is going to the airport. I am going to the airport.

So I is correct.

Benny gave Peter and me a ball. Benny gave Peter a ball. Benny gave me a ball. So me is correct.

Hope this helps.

7 Nov 2009     

volga
United States

Hi,

In the subject position (before the verb), you can use only a subject pronoun, which is "I" in this case. So the correct sentence is: My brother and I... The other version is grammatically incorrect. I am not sure about British English, but in American English people say this and even write this all the time. At the same time some linguist raise a good question - What is correct?

7 Nov 2009     

fsams
Maldives

Thanx dennis...but I would like to know if it is a variation. I know what you said exactly.

"Benny gave Peter and me a ball. Benny gave Peter a ball. Benny gave me a ball. So me is correct."

In this sentence Peter and �me � are objects. In Katie �s novel �Pete and me � is used as a subject of the sentence!

So what do you say???

7 Nov 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I am more shocked that you are wasting your time reading anything by Katie aka Jordan...she is famous for nothing more than getting her boobs out and especially these last months being extremely vile in the UK press... no words really can describe this vile disgusting woman....God I can �t think of any word other than vile to describe her....She is definitely NOT known for any type of literary skill in any way...
Get yourself a proper book by a real author would be my suggestion!

7 Nov 2009     

fsams
Maldives

Hey Cheezels, that brought a smile on my face! Thanx for refreshing my mood.

I know �my brother and I � is correct.

Not a native speaker, so just wanted to know if it is an alternative!

Thanks a lot dear
FsamsBig smile

7 Nov 2009     

dennismychina
China

DING DING DING seconds out of the ring.

Hey go for it Cheezeles. Come out swing girl. Haven�t seen you in ages and then WOW there you are. LOL. Hope all is going well with you in Sweden.

7 Nov 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

LOL It started snowing yesterday so today everything is completely white... from now we will have 6 months of snow!
(Re the book.... I read the UK papers online everyday and Jordan is awful... Not that I am a literary snob... far from it... I will read anything pretty much I can get my hands on... but this particular woman makes my blood run cold!)

7 Nov 2009     

stuartallen77
China

Hi fsams,

�My brother and I � is classically correct, but in spoken English and informal written English (like in an SMS message or email), �my brother and me � would be more normal. 

Not classically correct, but �my brother and me � would be more used in native speaking countries these days. 

Hope this helps,

Stuart

7 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

You �re on the money there Stuart!

I �ll quote directly from Swann �s �Practical English Usage � (p. 291, 3rd ed)

Speakers of a standard language often differ about small points of usage. Where two different forms are common, people who use one form may claim that theirs is the only �correct � usage, and that people who use the other form are making mistakes.
Some examples from modern English:
so-called �only correct form �                         so-called �mistake �
John and I went to the cinema.            John and me went to the cinema.
They �re different from us.                     They �re different to us.
fewer people                                        less people
Somebody �s dropped his or her keys   Somebody �s dropped their keys.
I �m unemployed at present.                 I �m unemployed presently.

In fact, all of the so-called �mistakes � listed above have been normal in standard English for centuries, and are not wrong at all (though some of them are more informal than the so-called �only correct forms �, and would be out of place in a formal style).

Cheers,
AB

7 Nov 2009     

Gangster 1
Thailand

Just one thing to say and that is my brother and I is the correct way to say.
And its not a  variation in British and American English.

7 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >